X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PoorboyMike
    • Oct 2005

Pro drivers for bass bins?

Just curious what peoples thoughts were about using pro drivers as opposed to say some Dayton RS subs in a bass bin. I've been to few concerts lately and I really like the chest thumping bass that you get at some shows.

So lets say a person had 3 NatPs accross the front of his theater and wanted to put dual driver bass bins under each, actively crossed at around 300hz or so. The bass bins would then cross to an IB at 80hz.

Would 12 or 15 in pro drivers (I don't have a specific model picked out) work better than the 12 or 15" RS subs at those frequencies? Cabinet size doesn't really matter, as this would be behind an AT screen.
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

The 'chest thumping' you feel at concerts and clubs is usually a boost in the 80-120 range, not really sub material at all. It's rare for concert subs to play below 40 Hz.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Dennis H
      The 'chest thumping' you feel at concerts and clubs is usually a boost in the 80-120 range.
      That would be the range the bass bins would be covering. There will be an IB sub for the lower stuff.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

If it's in the budget consider the AuraSound 12"s, these are very clean as the frequencies go higher.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

Oh, sorry Mike. I read too fast and didn't catch that the drivers would only play down to 80 or so. Pro drivers are great for that. I've always liked the midbass slam of the old JBL 15" and there are plenty of less expensive drivers that should be as good or better: B&C, Ciare, BMS, etc.

Comment

• CBerg
            • Jul 2007

Long time Lurker, like so many around here...

Anyhow, this thread got me to thinking. A couple years back I built dual original Maelstrom 18 driver subwoofers in a sealed arangement 120L. I have been using this as my LFE channel but want to do more.

This is really a pro driver but with deeper extension than most.

Thoughts on this as a bass bin? I am moving my Theater into a different room in the basement that has a crawl space for an IB...

Many thanks,

Carl

Comment

• Tommythecat
              • Nov 2005

Check out the Eminence Kappalite 15.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Tommythecat
                Check out the Eminence Kappalite 15.
                That looks pretty impressive, and the price is reasonable. Have you heard one before?

Comment

• Tommythecat
                  • Nov 2005

Yes, my roomate used them in a four-way design. Horn->12->Kappalite 15->mach5 18's. I didn't get to here the setup with the 4 mach5's, but the midbass out of them is quite good. He used them in something like 2-2.5 cubes tuned to 80Hz, 8th order HP at ~80 and 8th order LP at 160-200. He just built his new enclosures so he only did an initial tune, im sure it has some more refinement in it.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"