X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gargoola
    • Jul 2007

Subwoofer Match for Nat P

Hi All,

I'm new here, I've been researching around this forum for a few months now and am in the process of finishing my Nat P build. This is the first of a number of steps towards a 5.1 surround system. Next step is the sub.

100L (3.5 cf) is probably about the limit of my SAF (Spousal approval Factor)

The big question is which sub would match nicely with the Nat P system?

I was thinking the 12" Dayton Titanic, or the RSS315HF? Is there anything else which would be better?

I don't have an amp, but will buy what matches with what sub I get.

What do people think?
  • Sefferdog
    • Apr 2006

I have the Nat Ps with an RSS315HF and the itegration is superb. I am using a 300W Bash amp right now, upgrade coming!

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

In 3.5 cu ft you might even consider an RS390 HF. But the 315 would probably have plenty of output.
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

If you do a search, Brian Bunge built a nice sub with two of the RSS390HO in about 3 cu.ft. You will need quite a bit of power and some EQ to make that work but it looks like a real winner for a small enclosure. The nice thing about two drivers is you can fire them in opposite directions to cancel mechanical forces (no vibration.) That means you can disguise the sub as an end table or a speaker stand or whatever.

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

I've seen Thomas say a few times that the Titanic is getting long in the tooth, and that there are better drivers out there.

While the RS subs have really low distortion and are very good, the TC drivers such as the TC1000, TC2000 and SoundSplinter RL-p15 are tried and true and produce excellent results. So don't dismiss them.

I had an RL-p15 in a sealed 100L box. I thought the sound quality was great, but I wanted more low low low end and power in my big room.

Just weigh your goals, budget, space constraints and go from there.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The choice of "what woofer" is dependent on the size of the room, distance to the listening position, desired output level, and budget.

When these questions are answered it will be easier to make a recommendation.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brian Bunge
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2001

Dennis,

Actually, I've yet to build the dual driver enclosure. I did build a couple of quad RS15HO's for a couple of guys. But the dual driver version is what I'll be building for myself. One of the other forum members built two of the dual driver enclosures though. I believe he painted them gloss black.

Comment

• Gargoola
                • Jul 2007

Thanks for your replies, sorry its taken so long to get back to you.

My current room size is about 1650 cF, so pretty small, however we're looking at buying a new house, which would probably double or triple the volume with an open plan means, living and kitchen area.

Listening distance currently if I put the sub in the front right cnr would be 3.5-4m (~11-13 feet)

Desired output: down to 20Hz would be nice, not sure how possible in 100L though
                Level: well I can't remember what the Nat Ps were to match it, but I like a fairly bass heavy mix.

I'm not too concerned if the sub doesn't match the current space right, so long as its got enough headroom for future expansion.

Not sure if I mentioned its mainly for HT, probably 80HT/20music

Thanks again for all your information, comments and suggestions

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"