X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subynube
    • Apr 2007

Question about dampening

I am just about finished my Nat P. build and will have it up and running in a few days I am doing the set up in the 1.0 cubic foot enclosure from PE. I bought this dampening material from parts express, the 1 1/4 inch 3 layer material.

There are other options to go with lesser material, like 3/4 inch thick.
    Is the 1 and 1/4 inch thick stuff too thick for small enclosures, or should I be ok? Should I coat all of the inside walls, or just some? Thanks for the input.
  • subynube
    • Apr 2007

I know it is a strange question, and kinda a noob question, but anyone have any input? I dont want to put the thick stuff in if anyone thinks it will be too much. Thanks

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

I bought this dampening material from parts express
      Hope you mean "damping" material not "dampening" material... the first one refers to sound absorption, which can be an important part of a properly designed speaker enclosure (the DAMPING material can help keep the cabinet or other internal components from producing unwanted vibrations); the second would be something to keep things wet, which, unless you live in the desert, is probably not a design goal of your project. :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by subynube
        I know it is a strange question, and kinda a noob question, but anyone have any input? I dont want to put the thick stuff in if anyone thinks it will be too much. Thanks
        Since there's a infinite number of questions and a finite number of people to answer them, sometimes it takes a while to get around to answering everyone's questions, .....

It's fine. Once the crossovers are in place there's limited amount of flat surface for that kind of damping, so I doubt you'll have issues with using too much.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• joecarrow
          • Apr 2005

In his defense, Parts Express does call it dampening material.

Burke's right, though- it's damping. Although I agree with Thomas, I've got to caution you not to obstruct the cones or the port opening. There can be a benefit of using thicker foam, as well, since it absorbs sounds that are lower in frequency and are more in line with the upper bass that the woofer is playing into the cabinet but is not really using to drive the port output.
          -Joe Carrow

Comment

• subynube
            • Apr 2007

Haha, "dampening". what was I thinking? :rofl: I definately did not soak the interior of my set up. However, I will apply the damping material that I bought. And Thomas is right, I definately have limited space in the cabinet being that the XO is absolutely huge. Thanks again folks, sorry if I seemed inpatient.

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

Here is a link to some testing by Zaph, and he discusses what he uses.

May give you some reassurance. I think I've seen Jon say he uses a similar arrangement.
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• subynube
                • Apr 2007

Just wanted to put an end to the thread. I just finished my NatP's, and I have one deadened, and one not deadened yet. The deadened one sounds awesome, and tight as a drum. Probably the best speakers I have ever heard. The undeadened one is boomy, not as tight.
                Clearly it is not overdeadened with the thicker stuff. I was not able to coat all surfaces with the material because of the XO, but I did get most of it.

Thanks for all the help folks ;x( :W

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Good news... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"