X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atm98
    • Sep 2006

Some Basic Sub Questions

I have some questions regarding a sub.

I am looking to add a sub to create my 7.1 system. At first I was going to do an IB. However, my job has me moving next year, so I don’t want to add a large hole in the ceiling (see my ambitions in photo). I am planning to use SS RL-P18.

Using unibox, it looks like about 14ft3 ported box is the best option. My wife will never go for this. So if I go smaller, say 6ft3 range, the sealed box looks like the best option as I can better capture the sub-20hz sound.

I have a DEQ2496 (This thing is awesome –I am new to pro gear) and will soon have the mic along with a QSC PLX1602. This should be enough to get me started.

I am new to this sub building so I request some help on the following questions:

1. Am I correct about the sub-20Hz performance of the sealed smaller box compared to ported?
    2. If I am looking at a small enclosure, could I achieve the same bass and sound quality by using a 18” pro audio subwoofer? I am traveling a lot this year and my wife does not want me to start a new speaker project.
    3. The amp I have provides 1600W in bridged mode at 4ohm. If I purchase a 4 ohm SS sub with dual coils, how do I hook it up. A. Parallel – Will the amp handle 2 ohm. B. Series – I assume it will not be as powerful. C. Provide the same signal from the DEQ to both sides of the amp and hook up both channels?

Thanks for the help.

Austin

Image not available
    Last edited by theSven; 18 August 2023, 09:22 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image link
    -Austin-
    a ME in a sea of EEs
  • Gir
    • Dec 2006

1. Am I correct about the sub-20Hz performance of the sealed smaller box compared to ported?
    The ported box will get much better low end extension than the sealed will. This is why ported subs are so common.
    -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

Sealed is your only choice for a box that small. Get the dual 2 ohm and wire them in series. Use one channel of the DEQ to your bridged (mono) amp.

Comment

• atm98
        • Sep 2006

Thanks for the info. Does anyone have any experience with pro subs, such as a DJ uses. How would they compare to something I could build?

Also, I have seen a number of recommendations on this site to use the 4ohm version. Including the recent post:

It hasn't been the most active week on the board & the Mach Audio presale is enticing to me, but I want to be sure that if I purchase one of those subs that it's the best for me in the long run. Here's my scenario. I'll live in a smallish apartment until May of 2008, then move out hopefully to a little bigger place and

How are these being wired? I am still a little confused.

Austin
        Last edited by theSven; 18 August 2023, 09:21 Friday. Reason: Update htguide url
        -Austin-
        a ME in a sea of EEs

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

A pro sub typically roll off pretty early and don't give you much in the 20hz range and nothing in the sub 20hz range (unless you live in a concrete bunker). Some people have thrown a lot of EQ at some of them to get the low end, but you better have plenty of excursion to do that.

I think you'll be real happy with a sealed unit and the DEQ. I base this on my experience with dual seal RL-p15 and a DEQ. The DEQ you can get great low end. Just build the sealed box as big as you can, brace the piss out of it, and you're good.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"