(2) TC Sounds TC1000 wiring with one amp?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

(2) TC Sounds TC1000 wiring with one amp?

I'm helping a friend of mine redesign his home theater. He'd like to use (2) 15" TC Sounds TC1000 subs and run them off one amp. I'm looking at the wiring diagrams on TC Sounds website and having trouble understanding the wiring schematics for dual subs with one amp.

He hasn't purchased the drivers yet so it could be either single or dual voice coil. I'd appreciate suggestions on which driver and what amp would work well for this. I'd suggested PE's 300-810 based on my excellent experience with the plate amp version of this amp. Any other options?

Thanks for your help!

Jim
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

If you go with that amp, I'd recommend going with the dual 4 ohm voice coil versions, wire each speaker's voice coils in series (=8 0hms), then wire the two drivers in parallel (=4 0hms), which is the optimum load for power extraction from that amp, and will deliver about 500W to each driver, which should be pretty optimum.

Should be a nice setup for the money for your friend, Jim. Now, I'm not the subwoofer guru*, but I don't think you'll have any problems with this setup.

(* I did havea lot of experience with pro sound systems in the 70s and built my first dual 12" subs in the 70's, so maybe I get some points for that. Don't tell anyone, but I don't currently have a sub, though I do have numerous boxes of sub drivers, including BPD1203's and an HE-15. ) :W
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      If you go with that amp, I'd recommend going with the dual 4 ohm voice coil versions, wire each speaker's voice coils in series (=8 0hms), then wire the two drivers in parallel (=4 0hms), which is the optimum load for power extraction from that amp, and will deliver about 500W to each driver, which should be pretty optimum.

Should be a nice setup for the money for your friend, Jim. Now, I'm not the subwoofer guru*, but I don't think you'll have any problems with this setup.

(* I did havea lot of experience with pro sound systems in the 70s and built my first dual 12" subs in the 70's, so maybe I get some points for that. Don't tell anyone, but I don't currently have a sub, though I do have numerous boxes of sub drivers, including BPD1203's and an HE-15. ) :W
      Hi Jon,

Thank you for the very quick reply. I should have quit looking at the diagrams and thought it through. Your suggestion makes perfect sense of course. :T

Thanks again!

Jim

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

One more question...

I have the wiring of the subs concepts down but I'm still unclear on one more thing.

Let me describe the situation a bit better. Each sub will be in a separate enclosure and they won't be positioned together. So, if each sub has the voice coils wired for 8 ohms, can an individual speaker cable coming from the same amp output binding posts be run for each sub? Will the amp see this as a 4 ohm load?

I hope that makes sense. I've not done anything like this before and I'm having trouble understanding the wiring scheme.

Thanks for the help!

Jim

Comment

• PoorboyMike
          • Oct 2005

Yup, just run the + out to both + on the woofers and do the same with the -.

You then have a 4 ohm load on your amp. :T

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Yeah, that's the way you would do it. The amplifier terminals is the low impedance point, so for best damping, connecting each one separately in parallel at the amp is the way to go.

Actually, it's usually always better to have separate runs, and in fact, I often split the inputs on on larger multi-way speakers so that if desired I can run separate speaker cables for for LP and HP+Mids- especially if using lower cost cables (something NOT like Cardas Golden Reference, for example).

~Jon
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
              Yeah, that's the way you would do it. The amplifier terminals is the low impedance point, so for best damping, connecting each one separately in parallel at the amp is the way to go.

Actually, it's usually always better to have separate runs, and in fact, I often split the inputs on on larger multi-way speakers so that if desired I can run separate speaker cables for for LP and HP+Mids- especially if using lower cost cables (something NOT like Cardas Golden Reference, for example).

~Jon
              Thanks Jon! That clears it up.

Jim

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"