X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PatG
    • May 2024

First time measuring speakers, could use help

I will be attempting to measure a new pair of speakers (first time) and am just looking for a little advice on how to proceed. I was planning on using speakerworkshop, its free and I'm broke so it seemed like a match made in heaven but I have read time and time again that it has a steep learning curve and is far from intuitive so I'm wondering what else is out there thats affordable and good enough to take some decent measurements. So far I have a Berhinger mic, mixer/preamp, xlr & 1/4 cables and a WinXP PC with stock sound card. Thanks in advance.
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

Well considering the price you don't have much to lose in trying it out. Make sure the soundcard is able to this though.
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus

Comment

• Sefferdog
      • Apr 2006

Try this link, makes it pretty simple.

soundhobby.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, soundhobby.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Try Arta...a link to it and many other programs can be found here...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• tyler
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by augerpro
          Well considering the price you don't have much to lose in trying it out. Make sure the soundcard is able to this though.
          I second that. I would also question the soundcard. Is there an actual card in the pc or is it integrated onboard audio.

BTW, I checked out the link to your web pages. Nice job!:T
          Last edited by tyler; 22 June 2007, 18:28 Friday.

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

Thanks Tyler but I think you must mean Hong's page with the Arta setup. Mine just has an old pic for a home page and a few hidden files to download.

TDS offers Internet, TV, and phone services to residential and business customers in Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, and Texas. We’re proud to be voted Best Internet Provider 2 years in a row!

Comment

• tyler
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dennis H
              Thanks Tyler but I think you must mean Hong's page with the Arta setup. Mine just has an old pic for a home page and a few hidden files to download.

http://www.crestviewcable.com/~catapult/
              Yes, that was a typo and I have corrected it.:B

Comment

• PatG

I found the Soundhobby site presents a grossly oversimplified proceedure for setting up ARTA for measuring, there are at least a dozen little steps missing. In the end I keep getting a "feedback" sigal on my graph when I perform a single channel frequencey response measurement. So once I hit record all I see is a ragged signal across the spectrum even with all the input and output conections removed. I'm getting a signal from the mic preamp to the sound card because I get feedback if the gain is too high, its just that when I begin recording the mic output (input/left at the soundcard) is ignored in favor of this internal source. To add insult to injury I keep reading about how increadably easy this software is to use ops:, I must be retarded. Well, retarded or not I would still like to measure these speakers so any input would be greatly....greatly appreciated. BTW I am using the ubiquitous ECM 8000 mic and Xenyx 802 mixer.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"