X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tjambro
    • May 2007

'Original' vs 'Extra Crispy', the WMTW discussion thread

Is this "new" WMTW going to have clearer vocals than the current WMTW center/tower due to the mid-dome and will the mid-bass integrate as well as the "old" WMTW with a large sub or is this design going to be "better" only if space is an issue?

I guess what I am asking is which design will be better suited for the 3 front channels behind a perfed screen that is say 20" from the wall. Assume either design fits budget, speakers will be sealed and can be placed either vertically or horizontally depending on design intent, and that a large sub will be used.

Either way, more designs are always better! :T

-Tom A.

Edit by moderator, this thread was created by splitting off posts from the Suggestion for 5.1/7.1 thread since we were getting a bit OT for that thread.

BTW, no one should draw any conclusions about the SQ of either system from the title of this thread.
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 18:15 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by tjambro
    Is this "new" WMTW going to have clearer vocals than the current WMTW center/tower due to the mid-dome and will the mid-bass integrate as well as the "old" WMTW with a large sub or is this design going to be "better" only if space is an issue?

I guess what I am asking is which design will be better suited for the 3 front channels behind a perfed screen that is say 20" from the wall. Assume either design fits budget, speakers will be sealed and can be placed either vertically or horizontally depending on design intent, and that a large sub will be used.

Either way, more designs are always better! :T

-Tom A.

Edit by moderator, this thread was created by splitting off posts from the Suggestion for 5.1/7.1 thread since we were getting a bit OT for that thread.

BTW, no one should draw any conclusions about the SQ of either system from the title of this thread.

The choice of what system to use depends on the size of the room, distance from the speakers to the listening position, and the desired output level.
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 18:16 Thursday. Reason: Update quote

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• tjambro
      • May 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
      The choice of what system to use depends on the size of the room, distance from the speakers to the listening position, and the desired output level.
      Room size is 14'x21'x8.5'. Seating distance is 13' and desired output is about 90dB average up to about 110db for peaks. Speakers will be sealed and crossed over to two large 18" subs behind my screen at 90Hz.

I'm just trying to figure out if this design is going to be a better performer than the current WMTW design or is it a more convenient design for folks that need a smaller form factor.

-Tom A.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Answering the "which is better" is a bit problematic since I've not heard the 'big' WMTM and the new one hasn't been built.

That said.....

As has been posted several times, Jon and I 'prefer' an MTM to any other configuration for the top end of a speaker being used for HT or a WWMTM/WMTMW as a fullrange speaker. As was discussed in the "Suggestions for 5.1/7.1" thread the 'new' WMTW is a bit of a misnomer. In reality the dome mid is being used extend the bottom of the tweeter as opposed to functioning as a true midrange. This means the new system will operate more like a MTM than a typical WMTW.

Regarding the use of 7" midwoofers, I've read some 'net-sperts' (those with thousands of forum posts who've never built a speaker) say if one has big subs they need big mains. Aaah, well, no, not necessarily..... With multi-channel systems there are 5, 7, 10 or whatever many channel reproducing the higher frequencies. If one uses an MTM with 7" midwoofers for 5 channels, there are 10 midwoofers sharing the workload. Now this won't work for a room the size of a basketball court, it will certainly be sufficient for a room 14' X 21'...Should you build the new WMTW and find you need more 'umph', it's not a big deal to add bass bins to any of the front 3 (L-C-R) speakers.

The "how will it integrate with the sub" question is best answered by saying the room positioning of the sub will play a greater roll in this that any other variable. If possible use a lower crossover point given the relatively high Le of the SS18"s.

I'll be able to provide a more informed answer in a couple of weeks once the new WMTW as been built and tested. I use my big hybrid planar system as a basis for comparision to any speaker we build. If the midrange definition of the new WMTW is even close, the speaker will be a winner.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• tjambro
          • May 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
          ...Regarding the use of 7" midwoofers, I've read some 'net-sperts' (those with thousands of forum posts who've never built a speaker) say if one has big subs they need big mains.
          Yes, I've read this also and as neither a 'net-spert' or one who has built any DIY speakers other than subs, I am coming here for advice.

The "how will it integrate with the sub" question is best answered by saying the room positioning of the sub will play a greater roll in this that any other variable. If possible use a lower crossover point given the relatively high Le of the SS18"s.
          Fair enough but I cannot change crossover with my current Yammy receiver. Maybe some day I'll get a pre/pro setup but not right now.

I'll be able to provide a more informed answer in a couple of weeks once the new WMTW as been built and tested. I use my big hybrid planar system as a basis for comparision to any speaker we build. If the midrange definition of the new WMTW is even close, the speaker will be a winner.
          Ok, I and I'm sure many others look forward to your impressions of this speaker.

-Tom A.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"