X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JamesK
    • Jan 2007

Crazy line array

Because I know there are a lot of designs being done with Accuton drivers right now and because Rick Craig does swing by this board once in a while, I thought I'd repost a topic I found on audiorountable by Rick.

Posted by Rick Craig on February 23, 2007 at 07:57:49:

Going to Texas - an array with nine Accuton C82's and eight Fountek ribbons per side

Maybe he can share some of his experience with said array.
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

That oughta empty my wallet in record time...
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus

Comment

• tyler
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by augerpro
      That oughta empty my wallet in record time...
      I second that.8O

Comment

• brucemck2
        • Jan 2006

I've loved the sound of speakers with those Accutons for years, so I finally broke down and begged Rick to build a set.

Arrays will have passive crossovers, and, be configured to easily mate to a DEQX crossover. Tops and bottoms of Rick's arrays will be driven by differential 300b's. 75hz and below will be handled by a pair of Seaton Submersives.

Rick's building a "matching" center channel with the higher efficiency Accutons too.

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JamesK
          Going to Texas - an array with nine Accuton C82's and eight Fountek ribbons per side
          I thought about using the C82s but their distortion rises over 1% in some areas- including 3rd order disortion. Maybe in the real world the great cone and pistonic operating range over a broad spectrum mask the imperfections of this driver.

Comment

• joecarrow
            • Apr 2005

Won't harmonic distortion be reduced through the use of multiple drivers? I don't know what I would pick if I was going to spend nearly $3k per channel in drivers. There's a diminishing return by that point.

I think that at some point in the spending curve I'd be playing with hybrid dipoles using dynamic woofers and some sort of planar mid/tweeter. Still, this array ought to get NICE and loud
            -Joe Carrow

Comment

• brucemck2
              • Jan 2006

The measurments don't correlate with what I experience in well designed Accuton setups. The've got a very "seductive", "information rich", quality that I really enjoy.

Even some pretty rudimentary two ways I had built in PE cabinets a couple of years back sound pretty nice.

In this system the Accutons will be used well within their sweet spot range: using multiple drivers will keep distortion down and dynamics up, and, using the DEQX makes it easy to cross outside problematic areas.

My last couple of boxes were two way Seas magnesium + Millenium and Aurum that were nice too, albeit in a "more analytical" way.

Comment

• JamesK
                • Jan 2007

We wants pics! A row of nice white drivers.

Comment

• JamesK
                  • Jan 2007

Oh I almost forgot. What kind of center channel are you building for the array? Is it a horizontal array or something different?

Comment

• brucemck2
                    • Jan 2006

Horizontal. Not sure of exact driver set, except that it's got newer higher efficiency driver so that it'll work with similar amps as L/R arrays ... Rick could answer.

Comment

• Rick Craig
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by JamesK
                      Because I know there are a lot of designs being done with Accuton drivers right now and because Rick Craig does swing by this board once in a while, I thought I'd repost a topic I found on audiorountable by Rick.

Posted by Rick Craig on February 23, 2007 at 07:57:49:

Maybe he can share some of his experience with said array.
                      Feel free to contact me directly since it's against the rules for me to talk about this on the forum.

Comment

• Gir
                        • Dec 2006

Could you post a pic?
                        -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• JamesK
                          • Jan 2007

Thanks Rick. I'll send you a message later.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"