X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adam321
    • Jun 2007

Some questions for ThomasW on building an AS-15

Hi,

After having some trouble sourcing a 24" piece of sonotube I have decided to build a copy of the AS-15. So the questions begin. First I couldn't find what the AS-15 is tuned to. I would like to tune mine to about 16Hz. It seems that it would be difficult to fit a 6" port long enough to tune it to this frequency.

Also, what does the AS-15 shown on the KLONE website weigh? I would like to keep my weight down. So I was thinking of using only three braces instead of four and instead of going with two layers of MDF going with one layer and a second layer of 1/2" OSD. Similiarly on the front and back going with 2 layers of 3/4" MFD and one layer of the OSD.

On the port. I only found one place that carries the 6" flares called Thriller Audio. What is people experience with them in terms of shipping time, etc.
    Does regular 6" PVC fit these flares or do I need to buy their tubes and connectors also? Do I really need the flares? They are pretty expensive for some cheap plastic.

Finally, I am worried about clamps. Right now I do not own any. I probably won't build to many more speakers, so I would like to avoid a big investment here. What is the minimum I could get away with? How many and what size/type clamps should I buy?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Adam321; 08 June 2007, 10:32 Friday.
  • WillyD
    • Feb 2006

Do you happen to live anywhere near Charlotte, NC? I have a couple of 24" tubes.

Comment

• Adam321
      • Jun 2007

No,

I am in New Jersey, but thanks anyway. I found a couple places that sell the 24" tube and 18", which is to small. But, they would only sell it in 12 foot lengths. The prices ranged from $104 to $150 for the 12'. So, for me it would be more work, but a lot cheaper to go with MDF, and HD is only a few mile away.

BTW, I did not mention that I would be using the 15" TC-2000SVC as my driver.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Adam321
        First I couldn't find what the AS-15 is tuned to.
        As per the page with the Clio testing it's 18.56Hz
        I would like to tune mine to about 16Hz. It seems that it would be difficult to fit a 6" port long enough to tune it to this frequency.
        It would be impossible in the AS-15 box unless angles were used in the port.
        Also, what does the AS-15 shown on the KLONE website weigh?
        I don't have a scale it will fit on, my guess is 250+lbs
        I would like to keep my weight down. So I was thinking of using only three braces instead of four and instead of going with two layers of MDF going with one layer and a second layer of 1/2" OSD. Similiarly on the front and back going with 2 layers of 3/4" MFD and one layer of the OSD.
        The only surfaces that 'need' to be MDF are the exterior ones, all the unseen materials could be OSB, (I'd use 3/4")
        On the port. I only found one place that carries the 6" flares called Thriller Audio. What is people experience with them in terms of shipping time, etc.
        Does regular 6" PVC fit these flares or do I need to buy their tubes and connectors also? Do I really need the flares? They are pretty expensive for some cheap plastic.
        I don't know if the plastic is "cheap" or not. The reality is the ports should be flared when using 6" diameter with a high excursion 15" driver.

For specifics regarding the Thriller flares you should ask them.
        Finally, I am worried about clamps. Right now I do not own any. I probably won't build to many more speakers, so I would like to avoid a big investment here. What is the minimum I could get away with? How many and what size/type clamps should I buy?
        Sorry but I don't keep an inventory of what kind and how many clamps I use in a project.

If you don't plan on ever building another speaker, you're probably better off paying someone to build the box for you, that way you avoid the investment in tools entirely.
        Last edited by theSven; 06 July 2023, 21:07 Thursday. Reason: Update url

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• WillyD
          • Feb 2006

Regarding Thriller Audio, I've had a good experience with them, as far as service and shipping is concerned.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Adam321

Thanks!
            You could always "screw it and glue it". Do you own a drill?

I've also used an old set of cast iron weights when I didn't have enough clamps. Anything heavy would work, like bricks or even big rocks. You can get by without clamps if you have to.

Comment

• Bent
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2003

here's a drawing of what I built. I didn't use hardly any clamps - screws and glue for mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	boxside.webp
Views:	26
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	944301

I attached an Adire Audio ADA 1200 plate amp on mine, it weighed 260 pounds with a Blueprint Designs BP-1503 installed.
              Last edited by theSven; 06 July 2023, 21:07 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Adam321
                • Jun 2007

Thanks for all the replies. I was wondering if I could just use screws to hold it together while the glue sets. What type of screws would you use? Deck screws or maybe sheetrock screws? What is the best type of glue for laminating MDF and/or OSD? Would Gorilla glue or Liquid nails work?

BTW, I do have a drill. The rest of the tools I would have to borrow. But not too many people have those big clamps.

I was going to buy a new saw blade for my circular saw and build a saw guide to cut my box pieces. Any recommendations for the type of blade I should buy to cut MDF for a 7-1/4" saw.

Thanks again.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                  • Oct 2005

It really doesn't matter what screws you use. They are just holding the pieces together until the glue dries. Regular wood screws or even drywall screws would do the trick.

I use Titebond glue on everything.

Don't spend too much on the blade. MDF wears them out fast. Just get a decent carbide combination blade.

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

See the post I just finished on Glues. According to Fine Woodworking, use regular old wood glue.
                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Laminate the panels together with Titebond II or similar. Use a paint roller to apply it. Take everything and anything you have that's heavy to apply weight while the panels sit flat on the floor to dry.

40-60 tooth carbide blade
                      Coarse thread drywall screws (predrill the holes)

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• DeanP
                        • May 2004

I was wondering if I could just use screws to hold it together while the glue sets. What type of screws would you use? Deck screws or maybe sheetrock screws? What is the best type of glue for laminating MDF and/or OSD?
                        I built about 14 speaker cabs using the following:
                        I use sheetrock 1 1/4" screws('cause thinner shank);pre drilled with 1/8" 'cause mdf likes to split! After the glue dries, I either countersink the screws and leave them there or I remove and fill them with wood filler.
                        I use about three quick grip type clamps to hold while I drill and screw and during assembly. Remove clamps after glued and screwed. :T

Comment

• Adam321
                          • Jun 2007

OK, change of plans I was able to aquire a piece of 20" sonotube. I will start a new thread with new questions on this design.

Thanks for all your replies. I think after reading Thomas' replies I got a little scared about building the AS-15 for my first DIY project. Especially the fact that it would weigh in at 250 lbs. 8O Also, I could go for the lower tune I was looking for much easier with the Sono.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"