X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roaldd
    • May 2007

calculus project, need help with equations

Hi,

I am doing a calculus project in which I will build a subwoofer (already done), and show the math involved with tuning the box based on the theil small parameters. the box is sealed with a db500 12"

12" dB-500 SVC

Qts 0.447
    Qes 0.481
    Qms 6.347
    Fs 24Hz
    Res 3.25Ω
    Ls 2.36
    Lp 3.51
    Rp 2.91Ω
    Dia 241mm
    Vas 71.5l
    mms 169g
    cms 244um/M
    bl 13.3Tm
    Spl 86dB

I'm kind of in a bind here and need some quick replies. thanks a lot in advance.

Roald
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

This looks to me like it's a bit beyond what I did in Calculus- more like a Modeling and Control of Dynamic Systems, which involved some differential equations at times. Although some of the equations can be fairly simple, their derivation is less so.

What you've basically got is a resonant system (the woofer) driving another resonant system, the ported box. The ported box is a helmholtz resonator; there are many websites out there describing these and their math in great detail. Here's the first entry from Google:

Definitely an interesting school project. I think you'd need to come up with an signal block diagram using most of the terms involved in order to come up with the system transfer function. Once you have the transfer function, you would use that to construct a bode plot, which would (if you set it up right) predict the system response in relation to an input.

Maybe someone else will correct me if I'm off track, but that's the way I understand it.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

This should get you started. The pic is from Siegfried Linkwitz, showing the electrical equivalents of a sealed woofer. That electro-mechanical conversion is what the whole T/S model is based on.

Last edited by Dennis H; 04 June 2007, 15:50 Monday.

Comment

• Paul H
        • Feb 2004

Every once in a while it occurs to me that there just might be a couple of engineers and/or geeks hanging out in this forum :B

Comment

• JoshK
          • Mar 2005

joe is right, this is a Diff Eq (and by the looks of it a Partial Diff EQ) problem, beyond what you'd learn in Calc I-IV in college. I majored in applied math (even got a MS in it). But I didn't know how to parameterize the problem because I haven't studied this area enough.

This isn't terribly complicated, but isn't lower classmen level IMHO. It is easier to use some empirical heuristics to simplify the problem and then to use some numerical analysis to solve a specific problem using computers. This is the kind of stuff I did in my masters.

If you tell me what the problem is suppose to involve and at what level, I might help you come up with a reachable problem.

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

Looks more like algebra then diffeq to me but then it's been decades since I studied this stuff so I probably don't have a clue. I guess it gets into diffeq if you want to study what the system is doing at any point in time rather than the overall SPL response but the overall response looks pretty straight forword with SL's formulas -- basically what WinISD, etc do.

Comment

• Feyz
              • Mar 2005

In addition to what is mentioned already:

Since the electro-mechanical circuit in the end uses capacitors and inductors to model, the solution is a linear differential solution. But because SPL/impedance response is for steady state sinusodial response, using AC phasor analysis method the differential equation turns into a linear non-differential equation and is solved that way easily.

One quick online reference I could find (Look at the whole Section 4):

For the electro mechanical model of a loudspeaker in a box, the course book is:

One article from the author that may give you some ideas, though it shows how to use SPICE to solve the circuits:

Comment

• joecarrow
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Dennis H
                Looks more like algebra then diffeq to me but then it's been decades since I studied this stuff so I probably don't have a clue. I guess it gets into diffeq if you want to study what the system is doing at any point in time rather than the overall SPL response but the overall response looks pretty straight forword with SL's formulas -- basically what WinISD, etc do.
                It's funny- it really does boil down to some algebra, but only once you do the differential equations to come up with this shorthand method. Feyz says basically the same thing, but sounds smarter saying it.
                -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Feyz
                  • Mar 2005

Well, I wasn't trying to sound smarter
                  The thing is phasor method needs to be used (or some similar one) to solve the equations, and I felt like that needed to be explicitly mentioned for the help of the original poster.

Comment

• JoshK
                    • Mar 2005

I think I remember some of that from school...

We used to call this a linear system of differential equations. I don't recall anything named phasors, but I do remember transformations that took diff eq's to algebra and then back.

Comment

• Tommythecat
                      • Nov 2005

I think some of us are confused by your statement of how you'd like to show "how to tune" the box. In fact, joecarrow's first post deals with Helmholtz resonators and talks about ported enclosure analysis - when the poster said it would be modeling a sealed box.

Are you looking to optimize a sealed enclosure to a specific "alignment" given driver 'x'? or simply analyze the result of putting 'x' driver in 'y' sized sealed enclosure?

Beyond that, this is a very complex and intricate problem that uses several topics from different fields of math (algebra, linear algebra, differential equations). I started trying to explain some things(typing them out), but it would really take something like 25+ solid pages of work to quickly explain the motivation, derivation, and execution of creating a mathematical speaker model. I don't take this subject lightly, partially because I haven't yet perfected the model I use to model a driver in a sealed enclosure.

Comment

• joecarrow
                        • Apr 2005

Hey, great catch! I thought I double-checked to make sure that he was really talking about a ported box. It said "tuning", so I guess that's what tripped me up.

Honestly, I've been stretched thin lately with my new job and helping my partner prepare for a cross country trip.
                        -Joe Carrow

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"