X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keltern
    • Jun 2007

Smallish 2-way - 7"-8"? :)

Hi!

I've been looking around on the web trying to find a suitable project for this summer!

I fell in love with the Humblehomemadehifi - Extremon, but it seems I'm not going to get my hands on the Adire Extremis 6.8, so now I'm continuing my search for a smallish 2-way DIY-project.

The selection of drivers are limited in this country, at least when it comes to "exotic" drivers like. I've been drooling while looking at drivers at partsexpress, but soon realized that the shipping-fee is going to be more expensive than the drivers themselves.

Seas and Peerless seem to be the most obvious choices, as the prices many of these are quite ok up here! But I might be able to get hold of a couple of HiVi components through Soundwave, but I'm not sure what prices I'll get on those.

So, as I'm having trouble finding a suitable speaker to build, maybe some of you can help me find a "punchy", smallish 2-way DIY-project for me?
    Lars aka Keltern
  • PoorboyMike
    • Oct 2005

HERE is a small 2-way using Seas drivers. It's a little smaller than you want, but just from reading Zaph's review, I think you would be very happy with them.

Comment

• Keltern
      • Jun 2007

I've looked trough most of Zaph's speaker-designs, and while this one looks very interesting, I'd prefer something with a bigger woofer. 6.5" at a minimum, and preferably 7"!
      Lars aka Keltern

Comment

• TacoD
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2004

The Extremon from TonyG is not that great, the measurements made by a Ducth magazine (Elektuur Audio Special) where imho crappy.

MarkK did a great 2-way Dayton monitor with Dayton 22cm woofer and metal tweeter. I do not have a direct link, but search this forum.

Comment

• Davey
          • Jan 2003

You need only look a little further at John's site for another candidate:

Davey.

Comment

• JasonB
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Davey
            You need only look a little further at John's site for another candidate:

Davey.
            I agree. I have a pair and they sound very nice, nice clean extended bass for a small stand mount. I'm curious to see how much cheaper Seas drivers sell for in Norway. What is the approximate cost of an H1224 / L18 in US dollars over there?

Thanks,

Jason

Comment

• Keltern
              • Jun 2007

The L18RNX/P H1224 goes for $150.83 on dynabel aka eltek..

How much cheaper in your country? :P
              Lars aka Keltern

Comment

• JasonB
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Keltern
                The L18RNX/P H1224 goes for $150.83 on dynabel aka eltek..

How much cheaper in your country? :P
                Wow! That is US dollars? The same driver at Madisound goes for $69.35. I was assuming you'd get them even cheaper there since they are made in Norway. You might be better off importing drivers form the US.

Jason

Comment

• Operandi
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by JasonB
                  Wow! That is US dollars? The same driver at Madisound goes for $69.35. I was assuming you'd get them even cheaper there since they are made in Norway. You might be better off importing drivers form the US.

Jason
                  I think (I've never actually been) that's due to their high tax rates; I know the cost of living is significantly higher.

I would assume Seas is still probably a better deal because they are located in Norway.

Comment

• Keltern
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by JasonB

Jason
                    $151,07 today actually! :P

I'm astonished by the high prices and bad selection myself actually...

Originally posted by Operandi
                    I think (I've never actually been) that's due to their high tax rates; I know the cost of living is significantly higher.

I would assume Seas is still probably a better deal because they are located in Norway.
                    That's Norway for ya! ^^ I know we probably live pretty well here in Norway, but it's the government and a couple hundred millionaires that have the money! :\ We have quite a lot of poor people here as well...

My economy stinks at the moment, as I can't even afford food. But as the summer comes along i guess things will improve a bit!
                    Lars aka Keltern

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"