X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Griffster
    • May 2007

Platform as a Bass Trap?

I am getting ready to build a platform for a second row of seats and was wondering if it is possible to use the riser as a bass trap?

I was thinking of cutting holes in the front and back and stuffing between the studs (2X10) with fiberglass insulation.

It seems somewhere I've read about someone doing this, but now I can't find it, and a search was no help.

I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks.

Thanx!!

Griff
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Have you 'mapped' the in-room bass response to see this is needed?

Cutting smallish holes won't do much of anything. Cutting out entire sections of floor and covering them with expanded metal lath would create a trap.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Griffster
      • May 2007

Alright,

I'll profess my ignorance and admit I have no idea how to "map" the in-room bass response. As for smallish holes, I was thinking 6-8" holes at the ends of each bay of the platform.

Guess maybe this wasn't such a good idea. I was hoping it might help with taming the liveness of the room until I could figure out what i need for acoustic treatments.

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

I was thinking 6-8" holes at the ends of each bay of the platform
        That's not going to do much. Think about it, even if all the sound hitting your holes gets absorbed, you've got sound hitting and reflecting off 100s of square feet of walls/ceiling/floor and a couple of 6-8" absorbers which are tiny in comparison. Absorbers need to be big, like many square feet, if they're going to do much at bass frequencies.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Mapping the room involves measuring the bass response of the room using a grid. That tells where bass traps are needed.

6"-8" holes will do nothing. A standard fiberglass bass trap is 24" thick, flexible membrane traps are thinner....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• PMazz
            • May 2001

Didn't John Kotches do a Dennis Erskine designed platform that sounds familiar. The little info I had made it seem to be a Helmholtz resonator in design. I couldn't imagine it working any other way.

Pete
            Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

One could certainly make the platform into a Helmholtz resonator. It would be necessary to determine what tuning frequency is needed.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"