X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Operandi
    • May 2007

KEF iQ1 vs. custom builds

I've always thought the DIY approach offered the best value per dollar assuming the design is sound but the iQ1 seems like a lot of speaker for the money in terms of tech, build quality, and looks.

The budget here is roughly $300; build costs won't be too bad since I have access to a skilled wood worker who is very reasonable.

So for $300 are KEFs comparable or am I giving them too much credit?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

We don't have any MT 2-ways that use a 5.25" midwoofer.

Given it's higher Vd something like the Modula MT will play louder and lower compared to the KEF.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Have you heard the iQ1, and what have your heard also. I have my doubts.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Operandi
        • May 2007

Actually my only experience with KEF is based on a custom build active 3-way tower using Uni-Q drivers (not sure on the gen but late 90's). The bottom end of the spectrum was provided by a self powered sub in each tower (not sure on the driver). I know thats not exactly respective of the iQ1, but this system sounded pretty impressive and sort of left an impression on me.

Anyway I was more looking at the Q driver and enclousure and thinking for the price it looked like it may be hard to equal but I suppose that may not necessarily be so.

Comment

• augerpro
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2006

I really like the iQ series. However I think the mid is fairly low excursion, which works well because it's a waveguide. Then more "standard" woofers are used for base. But there are is only the UniQ driver for the iQ1 so I don't if that would be a very good setup. Either there will be no bass, or the driver is modified for more excursion which hurts it's performance as a waveguide *I* think.
          ~Brandon 8O
          Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
          Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
          DriverVault
          Soma Sonus

Comment

• Operandi
            • May 2007

Dose anyone have any experience with the Seas H1333 (another coaxial driver) ?

Comment

• DS-21
              • Jun 2005

I've played with the previous Seas coaxes that use the same TPX-cone midwoofer section (H1144) and while they're nice I think the current generation of Uni-Q's has them beat. I also have also owned a few KEF speakers; I currently use the predecessor to the iQ1, the Q-Compact, as rear surround speakers. The Seas will get lower more loudly, but midrange clarity and treble smoothness favor the KEFs. (Seas does not sell their best coax, which uses their old fiberglass "G" cone and a metal dome tweet, to the public. I believe it is exclusive to Gradient.)

I don't think you'll be able to build something that's all-around up to the standards of the iQ1 for $300, honestly. However, one drawback to them is that for full-range dynamic audio they really need stereo subwoofers crossed over fairly high. Doing so limits midrange excursion, which is especially important in a coincident driver using the midrange cone as part of the horn flare. Something with good response out to 300-400Hz (think 200Hz crossover). I'd build them as speaker stands, about the same width (if possible) and much deeper, to allow the Uni-Q's to be well out into the room while the woofers each get their own "corner" to fire into (Think NHT 3.3.)

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"