X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Operandi
    • May 2007

Consensus on BASH digital sub plate amps

Hey, guys/gals, first post...

I’m in the planning stages of building a high-end 2.1 PC sound system (I'll start a thread with more details later), and noticed the BASH plate amps are currently on sale at Parts Express.

I’ve known about these amps for awhile but the documentation is very light. The little I have heard from comments here and the user reviews on PE about them seems to be positive.

Right now I’m currently looking at a Dayton Reference HF 10” or 12” for the driver but as I said I’m still in the planning stages.

Anyone have anything to say about these amps? Should I jump on one while they are on sale?
  • wmilas
    • Dec 2006

Its class D... distortion is pretty high. If used only for <60 hz its tolerable. Would it be fine in a little 2.1 system as the .1 amp... sure no problem.

Comment

• joecarrow
      • Apr 2005

I presently use one to power some bass shakers. It seems fairly nice as far as the electronics go, but don't plan on the "plate" part of it closing off your sub box. It probably went without saying anyway, but I thought it was worth mentioning that the mechanical construction never lead me to believe that you could get away with not having a sub-enclosure to isolate the BASH from the main enclosure volume. It won't hold back pressure.

I agree with wmilas; if you're not running it too high, it should sound decent. Class D has come a long way, but I've never actually hooked mine up to a real woofer, so I can't say for sure how the sound is.
      -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Operandi
        • May 2007

Well I'm going to going for fairly large cabinets for the "2" of the system, with probably a 5 1/4 or 6.5" woofer so I should be able to keep the sub crossed at a decently low freq.

I've also noticed SVS uses BASH amps in some of their subs. Are these the same or similar amps?

Comment

• fjhuerta
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2006

I'm running a 300W BASH with a Tempest 15" sub on a sealed cabinet... it's as good as my old amp, the ubiquitous 250W plate amp with adjustable phase from Parts Express.

I'm not really sure you can hear extra distortion at 60 Hz, anyway. I think room modes are by far more problematic.
          Javier Huerta

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

The BASH amps aren't strictly digital or Class D. The output stages are conventional analog, Class AB. The "digital" part is a switch-mode power supply that adjusts the rail voltage to just what is needed to keep up with the signal so it doesn't waste power.

Comment

• joecarrow
              • Apr 2005

Great link, Dennis! I have to confess that when I bought mine I didn't know very much about it and couldn't find much online about it. It was kind of an impulse purchase because it and the bass shakers were on sale with free shipping. I tried to learn more, but never found their website.
              -Joe Carrow

Comment

• speedle
                • Dec 2006

I use a pair for the bass bins under my Nats, and from about 100 hz on down they sound quite good to me. I really think that BASH is a good use of a technology that admittedly has been around since the Bob Carver days.

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

Its a plate amp. I think that pro amps offer better bang for the buck, hence the general suggestion around here for the Behringer Units. Of course plate amps are nice, because they are fanless, take RCA input, and can easily be built into the sub for a smaller overall package. Sound quality wise, I don't think it is a significant issue to worry about. So, it is really up to you, based on what form factor you want.

Oh and help me remember, do the Bash amps have a built in boost or HP that needs to be modified by soldering?
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ---k---

Oh and help me remember, do the Bash amps have a built in boost or HP that needs to be modified by soldering?
                    The 500w Bash has a 1-2db boost at about 30hz which can be changed easily with a couple of resistors. As far as high pass, I contacted PE and they said it's about 3db down at 18hz.

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

yep, that is what I thought. I went to check earlier when I posted that, but PE's website must have been momentarily having problems.

The hp and having to modify the boost is something big to consider.
                      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Operandi
                        • May 2007

Thanks for the link Dennis. I thought there was something about the BASH amps that set them apart from traditional class D but I couldn't find any good information (guess I didn't look hard enough).

I just placed my order for the 500 watt unit. Seriously overkill no doubt but it's the best value $$ per watt and besides more power is better than not enough.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"