Scan-speak tweeters : 6600 (AirCir Magnet) v.s. 7100 (SD-2 Neodymium Magnet)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bordin
    • Apr 2005

Scan-speak tweeters : 6600 (AirCir Magnet) v.s. 7100 (SD-2 Neodymium Magnet)

I wonder anyone has compared sonics of :

the new D3004/6600 (AirCirc Magnet System) $220

D2904/7100 (SD-2 Neodymium Magnet) $267.00

I'm interested in listening experiece whether which one is "better" or "more" pleasant. I heard some people said the 6600's is very musical, but isn't the 7100 a decent tweeter ?
  • SQdude
    • May 2007

Comment

• joecarrow
      • Apr 2005

I think that the hard part is designing a speaker that can use either of these to its potential. Either one could sound excellent in a competently designed system.

Zaph tested the 2006 version of the AirCirc, and the -01 version of the 7100.

I think that you'd find relatively similar performance from the versions Madisound now carries if they're not identical.

The 7100 looks like it could handle a lower crossover frequency, since its higher order distortion is significantly less down low. Did you have a mid in mind to go with one of these?
      -Joe Carrow

Comment

• bordin
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by joecarrow
        The 7100 looks like it could handle a lower crossover frequency, since its higher order distortion is significantly less down low. Did you have a mid in mind to go with one of these?
        Yes, I've seen the graphs. But they don't reflect real perception. I heard one said the 7100 is more direct while the 6600 is more musical. My experience is with 7000's and 7100's, but I'm not sure what "direct" means. These series 7000 drivers are very very transparant to me.

I don't understand what "musical" or "less direct" of the 6600's is ? The 6600 FR seems to suggest a lower XO point than the 7100's. Is this the major benefit of the 6600 ?

Am I mistaken ?

Comment

• joecarrow
          • Apr 2005

To me, "transparent" means the same thing as "clear" or "clean", meaning only that it produces sound with little added distortion.

If somebody told me that a speaker was "musical", I would assume that its distortion was predominantly even in order, and I would not assume that it had low linear distortion.

If somebody told me that a speaker (again, note that I am not saying "driver") was "direct", I wouldn't be sure what they meant. I would take a guess that maybe they meant that there was some emphasis on the upper midrange. It's very hard to evaluate a driver in a system, which is why measurements are really useful. If there is a peak at 5 khz, it could be the tweeters fault or it could be the midrange's fault. How can you tell? If it was a large peak it would be fairly noticeable.

You must look at more than just the frequency response to see where a driver can cross over. In this case, take a look at the 3rd order distortion at 1 khz. This distortion produces a tone at 3khz- a very noticeable frequency- and it's 20 db higher in the 6600 than in the 7100. Do you see why it is said that the 7100 can cross lower? Zaph said it, and looking at his data I would have said it too. The fourth and fifth order distortion plays a similar game, but it's considerably below 1khz so a good crossover would make that less of a consideration.

The subjective terms you are talking about are something that you could use to describe a finished loudspeaker as a complete system. I bet you a coke that I could take the best drivers money can buy and tweak the crossover to make it unlistenable.

Either of these tweeters could be truly outstanding with the right crossover, supporting drivers, and cabinet.
          -Joe Carrow

Comment

• TacoD
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2004

For me the 6600 sounds the most natural (real). The sound of the 7100/ 7000 imho, is engineered to sound more intimate/ airy. These are my findings, I have not used the 7100 myself (but heard that one in a Wilson Duette), the other tweeters I have used in several projects.

Edit; I have only used the early version of the 6600, so I cannot comment of the sound of the current version (somewhat lower spl). But I think these will sound the same .

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"