X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • taloyd
    • Nov 2006

1/4" to 1/2" adapter for router shank?

Hello,

I'm planning on using a 3/4" roundover bit to create a 3/4" roundover against diffraction on a project... the problem I have is that a 3/4" roundover bit has a 1/2" shank while most other router bits fit (the standard) 1/4" shank on standard routers. Is there such thing as an adapter to fit a 1/2" shank bit on a 1/4" shank router?

Thanks!

-Tal
  • Sefferdog
    • Apr 2006

Depending on your type of router, you should be able to purchase a 1/2" collet for your particular model. :T

Comment

• Paul H
      • Feb 2004

"The standard" is either 1/4" or 1/2". The 1/4" size is generally used for the smaller bits. I strongly prefer the 1/2" and use them wherever possible as they flex less, break less and are therefore safer.

A router with a 1/2" collet (the collar that fits around and holds the bit in place) usually comes with a second collet for 1/4" bits, so you can use either size with a 1/2" router. A 1/4" router will only hold 1/4" bits.

There aren't any 1/4" to 1/2" adapters that I'm aware of, and if you see one somewhere, ask yourself carefully if it will securely hold a potentially deadly large router bit spinning at 10,000 rpm or more. :E Seriously.

Comment

• tizeye
        • Oct 2006

Unfortunately, I purchased my router BEFORE I knew what to look for. With limited anticipated use, sale special with router table was appealing. Result - I now have a 1/4 non-plunging router and the same problem described. While, like you, in inquired but I wouldn't even consider a 1/2 collet due to the saftey issue. Limited to the 1/4 shank, there are no 3/4 roundover bits. Believe me, I searched. 1/2 roundovers are everywhere, however, I found a 5/8 roundover at Sears. It works fine, and more important, it takes up 100% of the opening on the router base. A 3/4 roundover bit would not fit if you found one on a 1/4 shank or converted to a 1/2 collet - the base opening is just too small.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"