X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Few questions about woodworking.

I'm going to be building a bed here next weekend. I'm buying all the wood tomorrow (sunday) and I also want to buy a nice saw blade to make all the cuts? I'll be using MDF mostly probably I might use some birch ply or something too not sure going to decide when I go to buy the wood and see prices and what not. My question is what kind of saw blade should I get? How many teeth? So on. The saw I'll be using is a 10" I think. He said he has a 10" and a 7". I'm also going to see if they have some sort of straight edge clamp thing at the HD or Lowes whoever. Just in case your curious here are my sketchup's of the bed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed1.webp
Views:	11
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	944001

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed2.webp
Views:	10
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	944002
    Last edited by theSven; 04 July 2023, 23:25 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

For a good overall blade design, go with an ATB (Alternate Top Bevel). It's good for MDF and even better on plywood. Better check with your friend about the tools tho. The 10" might be a miter saw if it's not a table saw. The 7" (actually 7 1/4) would probably be a circular saw. The more teeth a blade has the smoother the cut it produces but needs more power in the machine. Carbide tipped is a must.

Home Depot

No intentions to use the space under the bed for storage?

Pete
    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• PoorboyMike
      • Oct 2005

My local HD has cabinet grade birch ply on sale for $25 a sheet. A little more expensive than MDF, but worth it IMO.

And I agree with Pete on the bottom. I'd find anther way to do the bracing so I could stuff more garbage under the bed. :lol:

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Well I'm not THAT experienced with wood working so I wanted to keep it simple. As for the saws they are both circular saws as far as I know? It's probably going to need to be a 7" blade and thats about what I was looking for :B. I'll look into the birch ply 25 a sheet isn't too bad. I think I'd need like....3 sheets and a sheet of cheap Ply for the platform.

Comment

• augerpro
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2006

I've been using my circular saw with a 60 tooth Oldham (sp?) blade from HD. With a straight edge I get very smooth cuts and it tracks very straight, no gouges.
          ~Brandon 8O
          Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
          Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
          DriverVault
          Soma Sonus

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

I like Matsushita carbide blades, available at True Value and others. They have a thinner cut than most, so the saw never bogs down, and they cut very clean.

Comment

• gimpy
              • Sep 2004

dougie, if you are using circular saws, then you might need help with cutting a straight line? If so, and don't have any thing, you can make a very good straight edge out of scrap or part of your plywood sheets. If you google, "sawboard", you will find a very easily made jig to cut straight lines with the circular saw. I have one, it works great.

I think I would stay away from mdf if possible, depending on how you plan to use it. One, it is very heavy and dense material. Two, it doesn't take screws very well and three, if you plan to use it for one of the flat pieces, it does tend to sag over time.

Hope there is something here to give you a little help/make things a little easier.

Frank

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Yeah I was planning on getting a straight edge guide or making one.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"