X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wackii
    • Jan 2006

DIY TV Stand... what type of wood?

Hi, I'm thinking of building a tv stand for my new plasma. What type of wood will you recomment? MDF? Plywood? I want to paint it glossy black for the finish to match with my TV. Any info and link would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Al,
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

If you want to paint it you could use MDF probably with no problems. I'm going to be building a bed frame and still deciding the same thing.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The choice of shelf material would be dependent on the weight of the TV

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Chris7
        • Dec 2006

In most cases, since there is unreinforced weight-bearing involved, your best bet is plywood. However, a glossy black paint finish is much more challenging on plywood, and it's comparatively simpler on MDF. So you might prefer MDF assuming your TV is not too heavy.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2001

If using MDF I'd suggest doubling up the top shelf. Also, if you're separating the lower part of the cabinet into left and right (and possibly center) sections the walls creating the sections will help to brace the top shelf as well.

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

A plasma shouldn't way too much. You'll have to get the wood in your hands to see how big an heavy you want to build it. Though, in general, a rule I learned from an old college professor of mine and has served me well is to never buy (build) a piece of furniture that you can't stand on.

I agree, if you don't want to go through excessive pain to not get the wood grain to show through, use MDF.

Got any sketches yet of what you're thinking?
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

I would stick to ply. If you're lucky, you can find 13 ply for about the same price as MDF. Stiffer, lighter... generally a far better material for this kind of thing.

I've also found (relatively speaking) cheap iron-on birch veneer edge banding at my local big box store. That combination with sanding sealer and some priming coats should get the ply up to doing as well as you could do with MDF (where you'd still have to solve the edge).

You might also be able to get a nice glossy black veneer of some kind - I know Jim Holtz built his NatP's with a pre-glossied material...

C
              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Gir
                • Dec 2006

MDF will sag a lot without proper support. You're better off using ply. Just get a good grade wood and sand well :T
                -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Gir
                  MDF will sag a lot without proper support. You're better off using ply. Just get a good grade wood and sand well :T
                  As will plywood. The key word is "proper" support. Place a 30+ lb. receiver on a 3/4" birch plywood shelf that's roughly 4' wide x 2' deep and watch it sag over time.

Comment

• wackii
                    • Jan 2006

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. My tv weights about 115lbs. It's a 50" plasma, the width is 48.5". I'd prefer the size to be around 62"x22"x22". I want to make it with 2 rows and 3 columns, something like this:

------------
                    | | | |
                    ------------
                    | | | |
                    ------------

This way I can put all my audio toys in there. I've built subs and main speakers using MDF and finished them with paint and veneer so I'm pretty confident it. But the weight of MDF is my concern. I'm also waiting on Jon new center design. I'll built that and stick it in there too. Lots of goodies to build and so little time

Thanks all.

Al,

Comment

• bob barkto
                      • Dec 2006

Something like this can be done in 5/8" - 3/4" mdf. Strength comes from the stretchers and back. This is a very generic form that can be readily adapted to suit your needs.

Originally posted by wackii
                      Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. My tv weights about 115lbs. It's a 50" plasma, the width is 48.5". I'd prefer the size to be around 62"x22"x22". I want to make it with 2 rows and 3 columns, something like this:

------------
                      | | | |
                      ------------
                      | | | |
                      ------------

This way I can put all my audio toys in there. I've built subs and main speakers using MDF and finished them with paint and veneer so I'm pretty confident it. But the weight of MDF is my concern. I'm also waiting on Jon new center design. I'll built that and stick it in there too. Lots of goodies to build and so little time

Thanks all.

Al,
                      Attached Files

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

Your ascii art didn't come through well. Did you mean something like this:

edit: was checking out all the furniture again in the MA thread, and noticed that you had built a rack similar with your equipment. So, I guess you know what you're doing.
                        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• wackii
                          • Jan 2006

You might also be able to get a nice glossy black veneer of some kind - I know Jim Holtz built his NatP's with a pre-glossied material...
                          That sounds good. I'll look into this. I hope it's not pricey. Do you have a link by any chance? Thanks.

Al,

Comment

• wackii
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
                            Your ascii art didn't come through well. Did you mean something like this:

edit: was checking out all the furniture again in the MA thread, and noticed that you had built a rack similar with your equipment. So, I guess you know what you're doing.
                            Sorry I'm at work, I will try to put up a graph or so when I'm home. And maybe take a couple shot of my room so you guys have an idea. Thanks.

Al,

Comment

• wackii
                              • Jan 2006

Thank you all for the help. I saw a decent good deal on the tv stand over the weekend so I took the plunge and purchased it. Thanks all. Project cancelled.

Al,

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"