Changing dipole baffle from 12" to 14"-Consequences?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric H
    • Nov 2006

Changing dipole baffle from 12" to 14"-Consequences?

I am getting ready to assemble a pair of Adire DDR dipole kits that I've had laying around. I also will be building two bass bins that are 14" wide, and the DDR's will be on top. The DDR's are supposed to be 12" wide. What would the sonic implications be to my going with 14" baffles to match the bass bins?

Thanks, Eric.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Doing that lowers the baffle reinforcement frequency. I don't imagine it will make much difference in the overall performance

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Eric H
      • Nov 2006

Great, thanks Thomas.

Comment

• JoshK
        • Mar 2005

I just read that some German proved that a baffle 2.2 times the effective width of the driver in question is optimal for minimized diffraction effect. take that fwiw. I saw it mentioned on diyaudio.

Comment

• thadman
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by JoshK
          I just read that some German proved that a baffle 2.2 times the effective width of the driver in question is optimal for minimized diffraction effect. take that fwiw. I saw it mentioned on diyaudio.
          the mounting frame or the diameter of the speaker cone derived from its area?

Comment

• JoshK
            • Mar 2005

I'd have to look up the link...I got the impression that effective width was cone diameter or maybe including surround.

Comment

• Rudolf
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by JoshK
              I just read that some German proved that a baffle 2.2 times the effective width of the driver in question is optimal for minimized diffraction effect.
              The effective (sic) width is meant as the moving area of the driver aka Sd.
              One has to keep in mind that this analysis was purely mathematical. And strictly speaking it relates to a circular baffle with the driver in its center only.
              The more your real baffle departs from this assumption, the less you need to care about the findings.

The source
              Rudolf
              dipolplus.de

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

Thanks for the link, Rudolf. My German is a bit rusty but it sounds like he's saying 2.2*D should be the largest size to minimize diffraction but smaller is okay. Is that how you read it?

And of course, as you say, he's testing a circular baffle and assumes 'perfect' dipole drivers with no rear basket, etc., so real-world results will probably be different.

Comment

• Rudolf
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H
                  My German is a bit rusty but it sounds like he's saying 2.2*D should be the largest size to minimize diffraction but smaller is okay. Is that how you read it?
                  Exactly!
                  But you are not allowed to call your German "rusty" as long as you can understand anything of that prose.
                  In fact that paper is written more complicated than the theory it describes.
                  Rudolf
                  dipolplus.de

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"