X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolyasm
    • Dec 2004

Need driver advice.

Trying to to a modified IB, if it is big enough. The theater room is about 1700cf. Behind the wall where the screen will be is a room about 500cf. It is used as storage now and is carpeted with a hinged door. Not airtight at the moment. The plan was to put one 15" driver on each side of the center channel, below the screen, facing into the room. I looked at TC sounds, but not sure if there is something on par, but less expensive on the market. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Roly
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Fi Car Audio. Custom American Made Subwoofers. From 180+ dB SPL monsters to award winning SQ subs. All built in-house in Las Vegas, Nevada USA

The .Q18" is great for IB's

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Rolyasm
      • Dec 2004

Looking at the VAS on the Q18, I see it is 268. If I use two of the drivers, my room space isn't close to the "rule" of at least 4 times the VAS. As the room size is decreased, wouldn't I have to build more of a sealed enclosure? If so, is the hinged door (regular entry door) with carpet on the floor going to be enough of a seal? I just wanted to make sure you read the room size of 500 cf correctly before I jump in. If you think it will work, I'll do it. Also, the subs would be on the same wall as my mounted screen. Will this most likely cause movement in my screen?
      Thanks
      Roly

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

That's 268 liters for the Q18 or about 9.5 cu.ft. You have plenty of room volume.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

What happened to the 4 drivers in the riser?

If you put them in a manifold there will be no more wall shake/screen shake than a box sub at the same location.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Rolyasm
            • Dec 2004

This project is for a friend. My subs are up and doing great. Sometimes I wonder how I ever had a normal 12" boxed sub, so thanks again for the help on that first project. So 1) you are not concerned about the volume of the room and the VAS, etc. ? A boxed sub would sit on the floor, not touching the wall, while I was planning on mounting these in a manifold array. The way I envisioned it was creating a "solid wall" with MDF and ply wood, secured to the wall below/behind the screen. So 2) this doesn't create any vibrations on the front wall?
            Thanks.
            Roly

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Rolyasm
              So 1) you are not concerned about the volume of the room and the VAS, etc. ?
              Do you not understand the math Dennis provided?

A 500 cu ft space is 26 times summed Vas of 2 drivers
              A boxed sub would sit on the floor, not touching the wall,
              The energy off the driver will cause the wall to vibrate
              while I was planning on mounting these in a manifold array. The way I envisioned it was creating a "solid wall" with MDF and ply wood, secured to the wall below/behind the screen. So 2) this doesn't create any vibrations on the front wall?
              If a manifold is used 'heroic' construction isn't needed for the wall.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Rolyasm
                • Dec 2004

Thanks,
                I must have skipped right over Dennis' reply. Just didn't see it. Sorry. Appreciate the reply.

Roly

Comment

• Rolyasm
                  • Dec 2004

Looking at the Q18, the only ohm rating I see is .7 or 1.4, so I am assuming that is for one or 2 voice coils. If I am using the Behringer 2500, what setup would be optimal for running the drivers. If I wanted to use the second amp channel for another project, would I need to run in series, or do you think the amp could take that low of a load if I ran parallel? It looks like the amp is only stable to 4 ohm. I don't have to use the other channel for another project, I just thought the option would be nice.
                  Roly

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Scott at Fi will custom configure (build) the drivers for IB use when that application information is included with an order. This includes a slightly softer surround and creating a SVC driver. I think two drivers in series would be a ~4 ohm load (double check this with Scott)

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"