X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lindahl
    • Dec 2006

Driver Breathing Space

I'm mounting RS150-4s into two layers of MDF. I'm worried about the drivers getting enough breathing space, since the second layer almost closes airways between the motor and the frame. Due to access, I can't chamfer the back of the first layer. Instead, I'm going to pre-route larger holes in the first layer, before applying the second layer of the baffle. How large should I make these holes in the first layer to ensure plenty of breathing space? I'm thinking 1" larger than the frame (7" total)?

These won't be going very low, only to around 300 hz, or so, but I am aiming for high SPL.
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

That's about right.

Comment

• Lindahl
      • Dec 2006

Thanks. Should I do the same thing for this driver? I'm guessing not, since it is larger, and it's only working below 300hz...

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Cutting it a little close at 9" wide, so I'm not sure if I want to do a larger cutout and give up some rigidity, especially since we're stepping into bass territory.

Comment

• joecarrow
        • Apr 2005

That driver has a far more open basket. I think that just a chamfer and you would be in great shape. It wouldn't even have to be a very aggressive chamfer. Or am I missing way you're constructing this?
        -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Lindahl
          • Dec 2006

Yeah, I can't do a chamfer. I talked to the speaker's designer (Rick Craig) and he said that for it's frequencies, there isn't much to gain from giving the woofer more breathing room.

He confirmed what Jed confirmed, that a pre cutout of 7" for the RS150-4 would be plenty, as well as a good idea.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"