Audax AP210Z0 8" woofer - is it suitable for sealed enclosures?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

Audax AP210Z0 8" woofer - is it suitable for sealed enclosures?

The price is right, at $28. It just ocurred to me that a "Mini MartinLogan" speaker could be made with this woofer, a Neo8 and a Neo3 working as dipoles from 600~700 Hz and up, and a sealed box driver playing the lower octaves.

Shipping and handling costs are very high to Mexico, so a big plus are light drivers.

The Audax AP210Z0 seems to cover all bases. It has the required sensitivity (89 dB), impedance (6 Ohms), weight and price. But its EBP is more suited towards a ported enclosure, and a big one, to boot. Around 30-45 liters. Since my plans are to make a 1:2 replica of a MartinLogan (I'm thinking about the Scenarios, which I used to own), I'd definitely need a smaller sealed box. According to simulations, I can get by with 10 L, which is just about right for the size of the speaker... but I'm not sure the drivers' motor is up to it.

Any opinions?
    Javier Huerta
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Any driver with only 2.6mm of Xmax better be ported.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• fjhuerta
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
      Any driver with only 2.6mm of Xmax better be ported.
      Thanks Thomas,

I don't expect these speakers to be used at reference level in a big room. That's why I'm expecting to build them like mini-MartinLogans. They'll probably be used in my bedroom.

Still - if I have to go ported, I'll build something bigger, I guess...
      Javier Huerta

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"