• Show
Clear All
  • strossos
    • Oct 2006

putting together pro audio speakers

I need new speakers!

Loud ones.

I heard you guys are good at this.

Current Setup: Insignia bookshelf speakers in STERO. It’s… amazingly underwhelming, but an improvement over the 1970s tower speakers I had before! My subwoofer, as a complete counterpoint, is amazingly overwhelming. A lovingly built, 15" TC-2000 sonosub! Power is courtesy of Buttkicker.

Receiver: Right now, there is a HK-AVR 5 running the show. Too bad it’s 100hz crossover doesn’t really work as it should (it sends full range to L and R no matter what) and generally is just old. I think a new digital Panasonic for $200 would be my first choice as a replacement.

My goals? Speakers that keep up with the subwoofer are what I need. More specifically, good efficiency, loads of headroom, and a very dynamic sound. Cheap too, poor (relatively) college students like me gotta have it cheap. The most feasible solution, from what I’ve read, would be pro audio.

After reading through a few threads, I came up with this combination:
    Eminence Beta-10CX 10” coaxial driver. 67.89 each.
    Eminence pxb2-1k6 2-way 1600hz crossover board . 38.79 each.
    Eminence ASD1001S 1” compression driver. $26.18 each.

About $265 all together.

I already have the cabinets that are hopefully adequate for this project. Maybe?
    11" deep
    30" tall
    14" wide
    2.6 cubic feet
    Speaker cut-outs: 10”, 5”, 3”
    Solid enough, probably will add some mdf bracing though. 10” driver goes in the 10” hole, port goes through the 5” hole and the 3” cutout gets covered up.

Summation:
    -2.6 f^3 cabinet,
    -Beta-10cx tuned to about 55hz,
    -5”x 2.8” port,
    -crossed over around 1600hz with a AD1001S in a coaxial configuration.
    -Full range, they will eventually cross over at 80hz when I get a receiver that can do it. For now, I’ll be turning down the “bass” equalizer knob (lulz) if I’m trying to listen to them at high volumes. I sure wouldn’t want to clip them.

I’ll need earplugs to listen at max volume, right? That’d be fun.

Give me your opinion, advice, whatever. Do I need different speaker selections? Different box?

A side thing, how do I "shield" these speakers so I can use them next to a TV? I vaguely remember something about putting magnets on both sides of the voice coil.
    Last edited by strossos; 18 May 2007, 13:21 Friday.
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Maybe these would fit the bill? Or these http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...lue/index.html ?

If loud is your main goal , http://www.cerwinvega.com/
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• joecarrow
      • Apr 2005

Your proposed configuration does seem to meet your goals fairly well. Also, I second what Alaric says.

I don't know if the Cerwin Vegas are shielded, but if you want a lot of noise for not a lot of money, they'll do the trick. I've heard them as party speakers, and they get the job done. Eminence drivers with proper crossovers will probably play cleaner, though.

As far as shielding, this is what an Eminence Beta 8 would do to my computer monitor:

The effect started from about 2 feet away. Also, I discourage anyone from repeating that screen distortion trick- a single degauss didn't bring it fully back to normal, and i mostly did it because I didn't care too much about that monitor.

As people have recommended, a bit of sheet steel inside the cabinet wall, or on the TV itself, can be a big help for shielding. Other than that, space is key. When I had those Eminence just a little over 2 feet away, there was no ill effect.
      -Joe Carrow

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"