X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tf1216
    • Apr 2006

Crystalac advice

I just got inspired by Finleyville's work on his latest 2-way speaker using crystalac. The cyrstalac products seem very formidable so I would like to know what you guys think would be the best approach for what I want to do.

I attached a picture of a tv stand I want to change the color of. I want to make the silver portions shiny black to match my new Samsung television. Should I use some 800 grit sandpaper, some rustoleam black spray, and laquer? Or should I try some crystalac?

Can someone please offer me advice?
    Attached Files
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by tf1216
    I just got inspired by Finleyville's work on his latest 2-way speaker using crystalac. The cyrstalac products seem very formidable so I would like to know what you guys think would be the best approach for what I want to do.

I attached a picture of a tv stand I want to change the color of. I want to make the silver portions shiny black to match my new Samsung television. Should I use some 800 grit sandpaper, some rustoleam black spray, and laquer? Or should I try some crystalac?

Can someone please offer me advice?
    Already done, extensively. The forum search engine is your friend...
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• tf1216
      • Apr 2006

You know Jon, I did not do a search before I posted. Normally I do, I am sorry.

I did take your advice and use the search function. There are many good threads about using crystalac on wood but the tv stand is made of another material.

I am too much of a newbie to know if that makes a difference. Does it? Take the same approach as with wood?

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Probably just need to sand it down and put down a layer and use some fine grit to sand and spray till it comes out the gloss that you want.... Like sand it down with 300 grit and then sand with 800 grit to make smooth spray down a layer and use like 1500 grit or something 1200 grit and spray again and repeat and then for the finish probably something like 1800-2000 grit I'm not sure and then put a clear coat on to protect it maybe? Been a while since I've done any serious painting. Although I've never used Crystalac.

Comment

• Finleyville
          • Sep 2006

Well, I'm not the expert or anything, but I do not see why you couldn't paint the TV stand black and then Crystalac over it. I would scuff the metal and primer it first. Then lay down your choice of black. (satin, semi-gloss, gloss, etc.) Finally, spray the crystalac by following the directions on the can. The only thing I did differently is I added many more coats of the product than what was instructed. That way I could sand and polish to a very glossy finish without worrying about removing too much lacquer. Hope this helps and good luck with your project!
          BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"