X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wildcard26
    • Aug 2006

Elemental Designs EHQS12 Driver..

Ok so I am getting the go ahead for another sub project from the Wife, reason being because of the price to of the driver that I quoted only $25 (holding back that I want to get a sub plate amp from PE, the Dayton 240w w/boost for a later time or else the project might get vetoed). Does anyone have any opinions and experience with this driver. Project suggestions are also welcomed. Thanks for your input.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• gonar
      • Feb 2006

I built one for my daughter

~23 hz vented, 150W rythmic amp. sounds surprisingly good, plenty of volume for a bedroom stereo.

check out the eqhs thread over in the avsforums diy forum

my sub is the second post on this page

Comment

• Wildcard26
        • Aug 2006

Yeah I did the searches and I found much of the info useful too. I particularly wanted to know if anyone had done anything else. I was looking at making it down firing. What were the dimensions you used? What port length and diameter? I have a little son who is at the inquisitive stage of his life (11 months soon to be a year). I also wanted to places the port down firing as well. That's why I had posted this thread. I am looking at the Dayton 100 watt plate amp. Would this suffice? Thanks again for your input.

Comment

• Wildcard26
          • Aug 2006

Ok I just took a look at your build. I like the size but I don't want to go slot (correct me if I used the wrong term there). What would be the alternate dimensions for a rounded port at let's say...4" in diameter?

Comment

• gonar
            • Feb 2006

that's not a slot port, that's a shelf, it's got a 3" precision port on the back side. about 11" if I remember.

Comment

• Wildcard26
              • Aug 2006

I stand corrected. That's neat though. That sounds about good. I decided on 36"Hx16"Dx16"W, Down Firing tuned to about 23 using a 4" port. I decided on the Dayton 100W plate amp but it would be a while yet till I get that. How does this sound? I really appreciate your input as you have had the experience with this driver. Thanks again.

Comment

• gonar
                • Feb 2006

that's a bit more volume, and a bit less amp. probably a little flatter but not quite as loud. excursion looks good in winISD (never exceeds 8mm) still making ~105@~26Hz, tailing off to 100@20

Comment

• Wildcard26
                  • Aug 2006

Well I may have to stretch a bit more for the PE 240 W amp but I don't think I can reach. The room is a small one too, like about 13' x 15'. So this should be a good performance for me especially as I do more music than movies (60/40). What's your suggestions here and again I really do appreciate the help.

Comment

• gonar
                    • Feb 2006

should be plety for music, unless you listen at ear damaging levels

Comment

• Wildcard26
                      • Aug 2006

Can't the wife would trip and take away my toys Would this perform suffice for HT as I don't think I would be able to reach for the 240 W amp?

Comment

• gonar
                        • Feb 2006

might be a bit light for HT with the small amp, but if it's for a bedroom HT, it should be plenty. the serious HT subwoofer guys will tell you you need dual 18's with 1000 watts of power for an 8x10 bedroom, but they are a little disturbed ;-)

Comment

• Wildcard26
                          • Aug 2006

Well I don't do much HT anyways and further more not many movies with all of the rumbling low frequencies. The Room is also about 16' from ground to ceiling and is pure concrete as well as having a full living room set and carpet on the floor(I forgot to mention). I have neighbours too and they have 2 month old twins so I don't even get to past 30 on my receiver unless they all go out. I have small sub I built with a 150w RMS Cerwin Vega Plate amp (ebay overstock) and that doesn't even past half on the level control when I use it for music much less for when I use it in HT. I didn't get the Wife Approval for more power.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"