X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martyn
    • Feb 2006

Murphy 3-way in Avalon box

I'm going to build a pair of Dennis' MBOW1 3-way speakers, but would like to do it as an integrated cabinet instead of the separate TM and W boxes that Dennis uses. The problem is that the TM box has a baffle that's 8" wide whereas the woofer is in a 12" wide box (and I'm not competent to tinker with crossover designs).

I'd been intending to use a Sonus Faber form factor because it's such an aesthetically elegant shape, but I can't get away from two boxes on top of each other (which has a low WAF in my household). More recently I've been thinking about an Avalon design (like Jon's M8ta look-alike) only with a vertical baffle. I'd discounted these earlier because they're too modern-looking, but now I'm giving them a second look. I think I can make the cabinet work, but I need some help with the following questions:

First:
    The basic MBOW1 design uses a square-edged baffle 8" wide which will function equally well with 3/4" round-overs. If you draw a 3/4" round-over and then superimpose a 1/2" bevel on it, the geometrical differences are quite small and I doubt whether there's any audible difference. Now, an 8" baffle with 1/2" bevels has a width of 7" between the bevels. If I design a tapered-bevel baffle similar to the Avalon/M8ta designs with a flat width of 7" at the horizontal centre-line of the tweeter, is it safe to assume that I can use the MBOW1 crossover without messing up the BSC?

Second:
    The tapered bevels continue to diverge as they pass the midrange. At the centre-line of the mid the flat width of the baffle will be between 8" and 9" instead of my baseline of 7" above. Is the extra width going to mess up the mid? (Dennis crosses at about 2600 Hz).

Thanks for your help. I'd also be interested to hear anyone's experience with building this design in other integrated cabinet designs.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

It sounds to me like you'll be very close if you go the route you propose- sounds to me like it's worth a try, though admittedly it's a bit of effort to do if you end up running into problems.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Martyn,

Are these to replace your Eton 3-way you have in your avatar?

Comment

• Martyn
        • Feb 2006

Thanks, Jon. That's all the encouragement I need.

Jed, the Etons will remain as my two-channel system although I do have a plan in the back of my mind to build a Sonus Faber style cabinet for them one day. The problem with this plan is that I would only be doing this for the fun of the woodwork, but I have too much invested in the existing woodwork to throw them away.

Under Thomas' tutelage I've just finished building an IB sub as the first step towards a 5.1 HT system. Now I need an affordable way of building the "5" part and Dennis' designs should fit the bill. I'm going to use his MBOW1 3-way design for the mains, the MBOW1 2-way for the centre, and his budget version using the GR-Research tweeter for the surrounds. This should give me a well-matched set of speakers with high SQ at an affordable cost. I already have all the components; now all I need is the time (and wifely approval to apply it).

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"