Neo3 PDR and the Neo8...(two threads merged)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

Neo3 PDR and the Neo8...(two threads merged)

Hi!

I've been thinking a bit about the Neo drivers lately.

I've yet to be happy with a design with the Neo3 (I've done 3 by now). But this last weekend I went to a friends' house, who now owns one of my Neo3 designs. He was crazy about it - and I must agree, after all these months, I thought the speakers sounded pretty good.

I've also heard the MartinLogan designs using the 3 and the 8, and I love their sound.

On the other hand, threads like these

make me think an RS28 and an RS52 are by far a best choice, sound and value-wise.

I'm intrigued by the Neos, though. Does anyone know any link (besides the Cryolites) of proven designs for the Neo3+Neo8? Also, how are you supposed to mount a Neo8?

(Yes, I bought a pair on an impulse, thinking I could make them sing. Now, I'm not so sure).
    Last edited by ThomasW; 22 May 2007, 14:01 Tuesday.
    Javier Huerta
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by fjhuerta
    Hi!

I've been thinking a bit about the Neo drivers lately.

I've yet to be happy with a design with the Neo3 (I've done 3 by now). But this last weekend I went to a friends' house, who now owns one of my Neo3 designs. He was crazy about it - and I must agree, after all these months, I thought the speakers sounded pretty good.

I've also heard the MartinLogan designs using the 3 and the 8, and I love their sound.

On the other hand, threads like these

make me think an RS28 and an RS52 are by far a best choice, sound and value-wise.

I'm intrigued by the Neos, though. Does anyone know any link (besides the Cryolites) of proven designs for the Neo3+Neo8? Also, how are you supposed to mount a Neo8?

(Yes, I bought a pair on an impulse, thinking I could make them sing. Now, I'm not so sure).
    Dennis has a design with the Neo3's that has gotten good feedback. Here's a link. http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=newplop.html

If nothing else it might give you an idea or two that'll help with your crossover design.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• aprilia88
      • Oct 2006

I wanted to try an open baffle mtm with neo8 and rs 270's. In hope of being able to get low enough to use a monople sub. I know this wrong, but I still want to do it.

Comment

• fjhuerta
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2006

Combining a Neo8 PDR with a Neo3 PDR - vertical integration is quite difficult!

Since I have those two drivers, I've been thinking about ways to use them as a mid-tweeter combination.

I was planning on stacking them vertically (Neo3 on top, Neo8 bottom). I used EDGE to model baffle diffraction, and something surprising (to me) happened.

I always wondered why on earth MartinLogan used these two drivers as they did. Their wall-mounted speaker uses the Neo8 and the Neo3 side by side, not vertically. I assumed the reason was to make the speaker as short as possible. Likewise, one of their towers (Sorry, I simply can't remember their names!) had the Neo3 on a vertical position, and the Neo8 below it, but in a horizontal position. What about horizontal dispersion? Hmm. I didn't get their designs.

Now I understand. The Neo8 has a very poor vertical dispersion pattern. There's no way I can think of that it can be integrated with a tweeter on top of it... I suppose that's why ThomasW said on some other threads the driver is mostly useful for line arrays. With that kind of vertical dispersion, I can see no other way... unless I use them as nearfield monitors, or in a situation where listener height does not vary at all.

So... I suppose MartinLogan's horizontal Neo8 / vertical Neo3 will heavily suffer from off-axis imbalance, but, does their side-by-side configuration have any merits? I'd think so - it's the only way I can think of integrating those two drivers by now!
        Javier Huerta

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"