• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

Some random questions

Hi guys. I need some info please...

1) If you had two 8 Ohm Nom. woofers wired in series but had 8 Ohm resistors shunted across each terminal you would end up with an 8 Ohm nominal load. Disregarding the effect on Q, what other concerns if any are there to doing this? If anyone has Speaker Building 201 there is a D'Appolito design that does this. Seemed like a neat idea.

2)When you have parallel notch (in series with driver) for say a woofer how do you determine the wattage rating for the resisitor? The potential for large current flow is pretty high I would think. I had this exact thing on my BB centerchannel. I ended up using multiple parallel resistors to get higher wattage capability while still maintaining the correct resistance.

3) Kind of similar to 2, but for series notch filters to ground.

4) if you had a 10" driver crossed to WG loaded tweeter at 2k LR4 and the ctc distance indicated combing at 1.5k would you be concerned? Kind of a complicated question probably...maybe I should just go with an 8"...anyone want to buy some Selenium 10PW3 drivers :B
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

No time for definitive quantative answers, but I didn't want you to feel "ignored".

1) I can imagine reasons for doing this and reasons for not doing this, but keep in mind the 8 ohm resistors should have power handling similar to the drivers- think 50-200W. The chasis mounted alluminum cased ones should be good to go. If you're doing an LP crossover at low frequency, it will help tame the interaction with the crossover due to the LF resonance, but it will suck some watts- normally, the impedance rise in the LF lowers the current draw on the amplifier.

2) Depends on how wide the notch (area under the curve). If you consider worst case slow sine sweep testing, conservative practice might dictate a fairly large resistor wattage - 50-50W, perhaps.

3) Depends on the input to output difference- get one of the cheap/free circuit simulation demo programs and analyze the power dissipation in the resistor. LT has one, SIMetrix (Catena software in England) has a great one for Linux and Windoze.

4) Ya know, this is something a lot of folks just ignore and it always comes back and bites 'em in the @ss. Recommended max CTC at 2kHz is about 7". Gonna be mighty tough to hit that with a 10" woofer and any kind of waveguide that works clean down to 2 kHz. The side effect will be comb filtering off axis, and ragged crossover region power response. With say, a 10" midwoofer and a 10" waveguide, I'd recommend a crossover frequency no higher than 1400 Hz for optimum results. This may be tough for a waveguide that small, as an oblate spheroid that size will typically have it's low end HOM at around 1-1.2 kHz, and will work better with a crossover closer to 2 kHz, say, 1.7-1.8 kHz. Then you're looking at an optimal max CTC around 8", which works out at best with a 10" waveguide and 6-7" midwoofer.

I'd also be considering something steeper than an LR4, given the proximity of the WG roll off, perhaps LR6 as a starting point.

Just my $0.02. Doesn't mean you might get something sounding pretty good most of the time taking a different tack...

~jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• augerpro
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2006

Thank you Jon for the excellent info! ;x( This lack of usable WGs is starting to to get old. We need someone to start a little fabrication for the group or something.

I'll check out that software Jon, thanks again.
      ~Brandon 8O
      DriverVault
      Soma Sonus

Comment

• Feyz
        • Mar 2005

On one, I think it is also to address the differences in T/S parameters of the drivers, which is more critical when in series than in parallel. 8 ohm resistors should dampen the impedance of the drivers, so I would think it would dampen the differences in T/S also, though I haven't really looked at it, how much of an affect it would have. But I had once a couple years back had looked at how different T/S parameters would cause when using two drivers in series vs in parallel. Below is one result of the calculations done using LTSpice that Jon referred to also:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	SeriesVsParallelDiffTSParamDriversB.gif?t=1179110723.gif
Views:	21
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	939435

Note in series case at tuning frequency one driver complete stops moving , and the other does all moving of air with extra excursion. Parallel drivers are not that bad, more immune to T/S differences in drivers.

I don't remember which T/S parameters I had changed and how much in these simulation, sorry it has been a while.

The simulations were done assuming the drivers share the same volume. When using separate volumes, results were better, but still not as good as the parallel case.

The extra shunt resistors I assume would remove the excursion differences between the drivers, but that is just an assumption without any real analysis and test on my part.
        Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 17:25 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• augerpro
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2006

That's very interesting Feyz! I would never have thought about that angle. Do you remember if the changes you made were representative of two different drivers, or of small spec differences we would see in a production driver? They look like they must be substantial.

I really need to do some measuring with some resistors and inductors hooked to a driver just to get an idea of what changes really happen.
          ~Brandon 8O
          DriverVault
          Soma Sonus

Comment

• Paul W
            • Oct 2004

Though I don't have SPB 201, I saw a Joe D crossover using that approach. As I recall, the stated reason was "to balance minor differences between drivers". I used it as "good practice" with a pair of series connected D76's to reduce sensitivity but didn't notice any difference (other than the obvious difference to the crossover).

For the large mid/large WG crossover, I'm using LR8 to minimize overlap.

Here is a comparison between the DDS-1 WG and the 12" WG from Music Supply Center, both with a BMS4552ND. I don't recommend the MSC for screw-on drivers because the throat doesn't fit properly. For bolt-on, their plastic screw-on/bolt-on adaptor can be bored to exactly 1', glued in, a gap in the throat filled with microballoons or similar, then carefully filed for a smooth transition. Modification takes only about 1 hour for two waveguides.

DDS:

Name:	DDS0.webp
Views:	41
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	939431

Modified MSC:

Name:	12WG0.webp
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	939432
            Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 17:23 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
            Paul

Comment

• augerpro
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2006

Overall the MSC looks better yes? Did you have a cap on those or is that the natural rolloff of the WG?
              ~Brandon 8O
              DriverVault
              Soma Sonus

Comment

• Paul W
                • Oct 2004

I have both WGs and the MSC is the pair I listen to the most...and it does quite well. It isn't quite as smooth as the DDS, but holds directivity a little better. Considering the price and DDS (un)availability, it does a great job.

Yes, there was a protection cap...about 30 as I recall, so it wasn't a huge influence. A good share of the low-end rolloff is the compression driver.
                Paul

Comment

• Feyz
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by augerpro
                  Do you remember if the changes you made were representative of two different drivers, or of small spec differences we would see in a production driver? They look like they must be substantial.
                  I dug my archieve and found the sim files. I had changed the Fs and Mms of between the drivers, rest of the T/S params are same. One driver has 40Hz Fs and 19g Mms, the other 52.3Hz Fs and 17.7g Mms.

And I did a sim with the added 8 ohm shunts, as expected the difference between driver excursions are reduced.

Name:	PortedBox2DriversSeriesWith8_OhmShu.webp
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	939433

The power requirements for the resistors are as mentioned before. At the impedance peaks of the ported box, most of the current passes through the resistors.I would assume decent power handling resistors.

Just using different volumes with no shunt resistors can be a fix, though not that good:

Name:	SeriesWoofsDiffTSParamSeparateVolum.gif?t=1179198832.gif
Views:	20
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	939434
                  Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 17:24 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

About using 2 drivers with resistors to adjust the impedance, going by Feyz's charts and an similar study by John K, I'd say the best thing is to run the drivers in parallel and use a series resistor to increase the impedance. That's better than drivers in series and parallel resistors to reduce the impedance. Same components, same net impedance, less interaction between the drivers.

Comment

• augerpro
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2006

Is the effect on Q the same though?
                      ~Brandon 8O
                      DriverVault
                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• Feyz
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by augerpro
                        Is the effect on Q the same though?
                        Yeap Qes and so Qts gets changed (probably significantly) and also sensitivity of the system is dropped by 6db

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"