X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Finleyville
    • Sep 2006

Polishing Crystalac

I just finished spraying two baffles with the super clear crystalac. Since I did not own the spraygun I had to spray all the layers on at once. Now I want to polish it to a mirror finish. How did you do yours? Where do I start grit wise? Should I just start with a car polish? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
    BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.
  • bob barkto
    • Dec 2006

I have a few questions...

How is the finish now? Is the surface smooth, any orange peel, dust specks, any other defects to be dealt with?
    How long ago in hours/days is "just finished"?

Comment

• Finleyville
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by bob barkto
      I have a few questions...

How is the finish now? Is the surface smooth, any orange peel, dust specks, any other defects to be dealt with?
      How long ago in hours/days is "just finished"?
      Very good questions. I am sorry I didn't answer them before...

The baffle surface was sanded to a 400 grit before I dyed it. After following the directions on the can for sprayers, we got down probably 7 coats of the stuff waiting a hour between coats. (70 degrees about 50% humidity) It has cured for 5 days. The surface is very glossy with little orange peel. There are many tiny pin hole sized blemishes throughout the baffles. I can see my face in the baffles; it's just not mirror smooth. It reminds me of that special non glare glass they use for framed pictures. Hope this helps

Images not available
      Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 17:26 Thursday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• PMazz
        • May 2001

Looks like you may need to sand it flat and slowly bring it back up to a gloss finish. You'll have to determine how low of a grit paper to start with based on the amount of irregularity. From the pics I'd guess 500. Use a random orbit sander and some mild soapy water sprayed on as lubricant. Keep this up with ever finer paper/pads until it looks flat and relatively glossy. Finish it off with polishing compound and a buffer.

Pete
        Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• bob barkto
          • Dec 2006

I'll echo Pete's advise.

Additionaly, some of those pinholes may go all the way down to the wood so use a little restraint. Don't oversand with the coarser grits.

Comment

• Finleyville
            • Sep 2006

I found a solution!

At my local Woodcraft I found a set of 5" ROS discs from Micro-mesh. There are 9 discs from grits 400-????. You just start at the lowest grade and work your way through. Here are their grit #'s and the equivalent ANSI grades.

Micro-mesh ---ANSI grade
            1500 --- 400
            1800 --- 600
            2400 --- (850?)
            3200 --- 1200
            3600 --- 1350
            4000 --- 1500
            6000 --- ????
            8000 --- ????
            12,000 --- ????

Each disc is somewhat padded and can be used with water as a lubricant. Pretty cool, huh? And the best part is that the whole package was only $16. Now I just have to decide on a ROS. :roll:

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"