X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thadman
    • Jan 2007

help me design an aesthetically pleasing open baffle

I've seen a lot of truly remarkable speaker designs/concepts on this forum, and I'm calling for your aid! I am trying to incorporate a BMS4540ND in a waveguide + PHL 1120 + twin RSS390HFs into an open baffle dipole, and I'd like it to be physically beautiful (already low WAF considering the drivers rears are showing). The only requirements are wide baffle on the bottom for the RSS390HF (maybe stagger them?) and a more narrow baffle towards the top (dipole effect ease excursion requirements before highpass @ 350-450hz). Any Ideas? Thoughts?
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

You know, an open baffle can have a grille cloth stretched out behind it to hide the driver rears. It may not be the best option, but if it's thin enough cloth it can hide things without bothering the sound. In my experience it's the treble that's really affected by having a grille in place.

I'd encourage you to do a few drawings on paper, maybe make a small scale model out of paper/cardboard, or in Google Sketchup. A lot of people are using Sketchup for this sort of task. Also, a few people have been mentioning Alibre as a design tool for this sort of thing. It has a free trial with unlimited time, although the sales guys will really want to know if you're interested in buying. As a CAD guy, I respect Alibre enough that I would strongly consider it for use as an independent contractor. If I had much such paid work I would definitely buy it.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• thadman
      • Jan 2007

I plan on sketching everything out first..before I make my final model, but I would like to see if I can tap into the creative minds over here first. Something that embodies the function of the driver, but manages to look stunning at the same time. If you guys wouldnt mind :B

Comment

• JoshK
        • Mar 2005

Take a look at how the Hawthorne designs use grill to hide the naughty bits. Looks elegant enough.

Comment

• thadman
          • Jan 2007

The facade of the speaker is where I am most concerned (shape/arrangement/etc), I wont see the rears nearly as often.

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Come to think of it, I don't ever recall ever seeing a dipole with a curved edge baffle. Are the modeling programs even capable of predicting response of curved perimeters on baffles? It may cause all heck to brake out re response/performance, but I was just thinking of the esthetic aspect (say as in a cello type silhouette), as I have very little knowledge of design principals.
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• dlneubec
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

These are the custom NaO mini's I built. They are open baffle, but only the MTM is open baffle. The bass bins are subs that are sealed and were actually designed for a different sealed MTM that sat on top. The open baffle MTM's have hardwood on the front of the baffle (cherry and maple) backed by pre-veneered mdf on the back. The wires on the back are hidden between the hardwood front and mdf backing piece (better SAF). They are designed so that the baffle can be adjusted from straight vertical to about 8º slope.

They don't fit what you are building, but they look nice and might give you some ideas. My wife likes them very much.
              Attached Files
              Dan N.

Comment

• CraigJ
                • Feb 2006

Thadman,

Why don't you simplify things and just make Jon's Isiris Junior? Substitute the DDS waveguide for Paul's measured waveguide and you're done. It will be difficult to buy anything better.

Craig

Comment

• thadman
                  • Jan 2007

I've already got two RSS390HFs (not different enough from the Aurasounds to warrant switching them out) and have no intention of spending nearly a grand on two midranges...ever. I also have no plans on using a passive crossover.

Comment

• Coby
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by thadman
                    I've already got two RSS390HFs (not different enough from the Aurasounds to warrant switching them out) and have no intention of spending nearly a grand on two midranges...ever. I also have no plans on using a passive crossover.
                    I hear ya, Thad.

What about drawing up something interesting, and having it waterjetted? Like a big flame pattern, with the base wide enough for the subs and tapering in with flames shooting off for the mids 'n tweet. Could create enough of an irregular pattern to minimize diffraction. You could make it out of thick lucite, and put red LED's in the base that would highlight the edges. That'd be wow factor.

Or draw up any organic shape...get crazy with it. Make something like trees, or a giant water drop, or a logo of something you like, such as a sports team or a musician. Hell, look over on the right of the messages you post and pick a smiley face and make THAT your front. With just a flat sheet, you've got a lot of potentials for creating interesting shapes.

Comment

• thadman
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Coby
                      I hear ya, Thad.

What about drawing up something interesting, and having it waterjetted? Like a big flame pattern, with the base wide enough for the subs and tapering in with flames shooting off for the mids 'n tweet. Could create enough of an irregular pattern to minimize diffraction. You could make it out of thick lucite, and put red LED's in the base that would highlight the edges. That'd be wow factor.

Or draw up any organic shape...get crazy with it. Make something like trees, or a giant water drop, or a logo of something you like, such as a sports team or a musician. Hell, look over on the right of the messages you post and pick a smiley face and make THAT your front. With just a flat sheet, you've got a lot of potentials for creating interesting shapes.
                      Sounds expensive, but cool

I'd love to go through a path similar to that, but at the current moment I'm stumped! Thats the problem...the creative aesthetically pleasing loudspeaker design gene hasnt manifested itself yet :lol: Do you have any ideas for what you think the baffle should look like? Something creative? Even something simple drawn up in paint...something I could run with you know?

Comment

• joecarrow
                        • Apr 2005

Have you considered looking for artist types, maybe on craigslist? I'm sure that there's some artist type out there who would love to "design a speaker", and have it actually built. It would look great for their portfolio, I'm sure.

Just tell them, "Look, it has to use exactly these drivers, laid out in decreasing size from bottom to top. These drivers must have at least this much material around them, and these need to have this much. Please don't make any curves concentric with any of the drivers. Draw me a flat shape on a piece of paper. Come airbrush it or whatever after waterjetting to make your creation come to life"

Sounds crazy, but art students who aren't lazy will put in a crazy amount of work for free- especially architects.
                        -Joe Carrow

Comment

• CraigJ
                          • Feb 2006

Hi Thadman,

Sorry, I should have said "similar" to Jon's Isiris Junior. I didn't spend a grand on my midranges, more like $173 each I'm also using dual RS woofers with active crossovers and with Corian, the WAF has to be high.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"