X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JamesH
    • May 2007

HT design for newbie

I posted to the Parts Express board a while back trying to figure out what home theater design to try building. I have no experience with speaker designing. I've installed a few car audio systems and built Wayne's DIIIs. I'm fairly confident in my abilities to execute a design if I have a BOM and schematics for the xover and enclosures.

At first I was thinking of Wayne's Dayton home theater (five MTs on the PE project showcase) because of my satisfaction with the DIIIs. I ran across a website at this link that had MTM variations for the LR&C channels, which piqued my curiosity.

However, cjd replied to my post and got me thinking about designs using Dayton RS drivers. He pointed me over to this site, where I buried myself looking at the 50-page long posts for "mission accomplished" designs based off the Modula MT design.

Currently, I like the idea of MTM L&R speakers, a WMTW center, and MT surrounds. However, there are so many versions of each type on htguide and they rarely have schematics and BOMs together in one post, making it hard for a newbie to put together a full setup. (It'd be awesome if they fit into PE's enclosures, but it's not necessary; I'm not sure it's possible with the WMTW center.)

Is anyone out there collecting links to the final designs for these speakers - with BOMs and schematics? Originally I was hoping to spend around $750 on parts, but I wouldn't complain if it was $250 per speaker. I'm still considering the Dayton system, but I would really appreciate any help you all could lend. Thanks in advance!
  • WillyD
    • Feb 2006

I'm not sure it's possible with the WMTW center.
    A WMTW center which utilizes the PE 1cuft cabinet is currently in development.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JamesH
      I posted to the Parts Express board a while back trying to figure out what home theater design to try building. I have no experience with speaker designing. I've installed a few car audio systems and built Wayne's DIIIs. I'm fairly confident in my abilities to execute a design if I have a BOM and schematics for the xover and enclosures.

At first I was thinking of Wayne's Dayton home theater (five MTs on the PE project showcase) because of my satisfaction with the DIIIs. I ran across a website at this link that had MTM variations for the LR&C channels, which piqued my curiosity.

However, cjd replied to my post and got me thinking about designs using Dayton RS drivers. He pointed me over to this site, where I buried myself looking at the 50-page long posts for "mission accomplished" designs based off the Modula MT design.

Currently, I like the idea of MTM L&R speakers, a WMTW center, and MT surrounds. However, there are so many versions of each type on htguide and they rarely have schematics and BOMs together in one post, making it hard for a newbie to put together a full setup. (It'd be awesome if they fit into PE's enclosures, but it's not necessary; I'm not sure it's possible with the WMTW center.)

Is anyone out there collecting links to the final designs for these speakers - with BOMs and schematics? Originally I was hoping to spend around $750 on parts, but I wouldn't complain if it was $250 per speaker. I'm still considering the Dayton system, but I would really appreciate any help you all could lend. Thanks in advance!
      Hi James,

The easiest build is either the Modula M/T or the Natalie P. Both can be built using PE cabinets and fall into your price range. Both will work well. Willy pointed out in his post that a W-M/T-W center based on the PE cabinet was under development and shouldn't be too far off.

The next step up would be the RS 3-ways which would fall close to your budget ($556 drivers & crossover parts) but would require a cabinet be built rather than purchased.

A sub should be added to all for home theater. If you PM me with your email address, I can send you the BOM, crossovers and cabinet layouts in zip files. I have built all three designs.

Jim

Comment

• JamesH
        • May 2007

WMTW in PE enclosure

I had no idea a WMTW was in the works that would fit in the PE enclosure. That's great. I can build all this stuff, but I only have access to the woodworking tools at someone else's house. Plus, frankly, I would probably spend close to the same amount in supplies after buying veneer, and I doubt it would look as nice.

Who's designing it? What drivers? (I'd like to put in my PE order during the free shipping offer.) Will the design end up in the "mission accomplished" section once complete?

Jim, thanks very much for your offer. I PMd you with my email addy. Where are the RS three-way designs?

I was definitely planning on the sub, too. I'm currently thinking of a Dayton RS 15", though I'm undecided as between the "high fidelity" RSS390HF-4 and "high output" RSS390HO-4.

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

The smaller 3-ways are in the "Dayton RS WTMW Center &..." thread in Missions Accomplished. Rather, bigger than the other projects you're looking at, but smaller than another un-named 3-way design also in MA

I believe that with the smaller 3-way center, there is some hope of possibly matching 3-way mains.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JamesH
            I had no idea a WMTW was in the works that would fit in the PE enclosure. That's great. I can build all this stuff, but I only have access to the woodworking tools at someone else's house. Plus, frankly, I would probably spend close to the same amount in supplies after buying veneer, and I doubt it would look as nice.

Who's designing it? What drivers? (I'd like to put in my PE order during the free shipping offer.) Will the design end up in the "mission accomplished" section once complete?

Jim, thanks very much for your offer. I PMd you with my email addy. Where are the RS three-way designs?

I was definitely planning on the sub, too. I'm currently thinking of a Dayton RS 15", though I'm undecided as between the "high fidelity" RSS390HF-4 and "high output" RSS390HO-4.
            Hi James,

Jon Marsh is also designing the center channel. It's based on a PE one cube MTM cabinet. The driver compliment is (2) RS180's, RS52 mid dome and a Vifa D26NC tweeter. These are all ultra low distortion drivers which should create a superb center channel.

Jon is extremely busy with his day job which has him traveling all over the world so the development has slowed. The last I heard, June was the target date.

Jim

Comment

• JamesH
              • May 2007

I've been leaning toward the WMTW center design simply because of all I've heard about off-axis listening. I've currently got a fairly standard room setup - a 42" plasma with a three/four-person couch facing it, centered. Would Jon's MTM center channel be a good compromise? Or is it worth stepping up to/waiting for the WMTW design?

Comment

• technimac
                • Feb 2005

HT choices

James,
                Jon's WMTW center design thread has a number of options, all to be housed in a standard PE MTM enclosure:

There will be a choice of HiVi D6.8 or the Dayton RS180 for the woofers, the Dayton RS52 for the mid, and a choice of a Vifa D26NC55 or Seas 27TFFNC/G for the tweeter.

According to Jon, the HiVi D6.8 will perform lower/better than the RS180 in the PE MTM enclosure, but it's twice as expensive. Jon's building three HiVi D6.8 WMTW's to use for LCR in his "mini-HT".

I will be building a PE MTM-size enclosure for this center, using the HiVi/RS52/Vifa combination of drivers.

However, for the left and right mains, I'm considering TMWW mini-towers (about 55 liters) with the RS180/RS52/Vifa combination. These towers will provide enough internal volume for optimal bass extension with the RS180's and the TMWW configuation will be low enough to get me the SAF I need to be able to do this project.

Zaph is working on a TMWW project using RS180's, the RS52 and an Aura NT1-204-8D titanium mini-tweeter. That may be another option for you to consider. It looks like an interesting possibility for me as well.
                "While we're at it" - the four most dangerous words in Home Improvement

Comment

• JamesH
                  • May 2007

Thanks.

First, I want to thank everyone who's been kind enough to respond to my post. This forum is populated by a very friendly community. My primary experience has been in car audio forums, which I have found to be far less forgiving. So thank you for your input in answering my basic questions.

After some more research and some off-forum PMs, I think I've concluded that I will build the following:

Center Channel: Selah Audio 35CC in 1 cubic foot PE enclosures ~$360 w/ encl
                  Front L&R Channels: Natalie P in 1 cubic foot PE enclosures ~$514/pr w/ encl
                  Rear Channels: Selah Audio Hiddenites in .5 cubic foot PE enclosures ~$354/pr w/ encl
                  Subwoofer: 15" Dayton RS high fidelity sub with a 500W plate amp in a 3 cubic foot PE enclosure ~$615 w/ encl

Phew! I got up to $1850 total. 8O I guess I wasn't really thinking that the sub would be as expensive as it was. At this point, I plan on all sealed enclosures.

I continue to welcome any other comments, suggestions, or links to pages talking about people's construction of these speakers . . . or recommendations for receivers/amps - I think my ancient Kenwood receiver (KRV 8080) could use an upgrade. It's sort of jury-rigged now with all the fancy high-end sources (component video from DVR; HDMI from DVD recorder) going straight to the plasma. It predates Dolby 5.1 encoding, too.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll post again when everything is built. Cheers!

Comment

• joecarrow
                    • Apr 2005

Part of where we can save so much money on DIY is if we're set up to build cabinets. Sure, our time isn't free- but cabinets cost a lot due to labor and shipping. Personally, I'm not so hot at woodworking finishing. I tend to wait until the cabinets are on sale, or there's a free shipping promotion going on.

It sounds like a good combo you have going there. You could probably get some more output ported, but you'll have some good sound all around nonetheless.
                    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

If you build the NatPs for the fronts, I would build the ModulaMT using the no-baffle-step cross (for on/near wall mounting) for the rears, and wait for JonMarsh to finish his new WMTMW center channel that is intended to match the NatP. All those are in standard PE boxes. This will likely result in a much more uniformly matching system, and probably a little less $$ than what you currently calculating.

Nothing against the Selah designs. Rick is a good guy. Just thinking it is best to keep it all from the same designer for best matching.
                      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"