X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nezz621
    • Dec 2006

replacing really old woofer in a ported box

I've got an old sony subwoofer that i want to replace but im not sure how to dertermine what kind of sub i'll need. I believe the sub is 7" (measuring the cone from end to end), andis about 8.5" from end to end. It has about a 5" mounting depth, which means i should have plenty of room to throw in another sub. according to the box, the amp puts out 280 watts (probably at 8ohms, not realy sure).

The model # is SA-W542. I tried looking the info up, but couldnt find anything useful. All i really need is something that fits in the box and sound decent until i build my own sub sometime down the line.

Any suggestions on which sub i could get?
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

If you can measure the interior box volume, and the port diameter and length, that might go a long way toward finding a candidate.

It sounds kind of small, so the improvement in performance is really only going to be moderate. Does it work at all now?

A photo wouldn't hurt; especially if you can show the box interior.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• nezz621
      • Dec 2006

It sounds kind of small, so the improvement in performance is really only going to be moderate. Does it work at all now?
      actually thats why im replacing it, because it doesnt work. I just want something that will do a decent job. Im not expecting it to blow me away, just to add some extension to my lower end.

Comment

• joecarrow
        • Apr 2005

Fair enough- are you sure the amp is OK? We'd still need box measurements to help suggest a woofer.
        -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Revolter
          • Apr 2007

I have same subwoofer, does not work SONY SA-W542 , SEN-R5420

I have same subwoofer, does not work it is SONY SA-W542 , SEN-R5420
          I have brought it in some pawn shop, but it does not power up, I would like to ask how your sub works or worked, when you plugged it in power outlet it come sright up and you can connect to it audio signal to IN port and that was it for subwoofer to work or does it require a original SONY HCD541 audio center to be connected to it by system control cable in order to work ?

To me it looks it possibly have some 12" or maybe 15" speaker inside, it is way to large to have 7" speaker inside as you describing although I have not opened it up that fas as I could determine it for sure.

anyway I found manual for the whole setup including this subwoofer if you interested see it at http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/DocsConn...d=8817&DL=true

when reading it it seems to confirm my quessing it needs the deck to send signal to subwoofer by the system control cord (I have neither) to turn it on, if anyone have suggestion how to bypass it pls respond

thanks for your time

Comment

• nezz621
            • Dec 2006

The external dimensions are 20" width, 19" height. The port i beleive is about 4" in length and 3.5" in diameter.

To me it looks it possibly have some 12" or maybe 15" speaker inside, it is way to large to have 7" speaker inside as you describing although I have not opened it up that fas as I could determine it for sure.
            Thats funnny you said that cause i thought there would at least be a 12" sub in there. But after seeing that small sub, im surprised at how much bass this thing used to put out. Since its ported, and the amp is in the back, there is actually alot less space in there than you'd think.

Anyway, like i said, all ireally care about is to have something to replace it, it doesnt have to be spectacular, as long as it fits.

One more thing... I'm not sure if im measuring the size of the woofer correctly. Just to be sure, i measured from mounting screw to mounting screw this time, and got 8", instead of just measuring from the end of the actual woofer, in which case i got about 7".

Like i said, i just want it to fit and sound halfway decent. Until i build my Sonotube.

Thanks again

Comment

• Revolter
              • Apr 2007

well if you just want to stuff something inside, then I recomended you to check kragen autoparts store, yet it sound probably weird but they do have some powerfull and cheaps subwoofers on sale all the time, I think the website is http://www.partsamerica.com/default.aspx, some subs on sale are at http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...+&=+Enclosures
              but I did not get the answer from you do this subwoofer working standalone ? or indeed it needs the original sony deck to be functional ?

Comment

• nezz621
                • Dec 2006

but I did not get the answer from you do this subwoofer working standalone ? or indeed it needs the original sony deck to be functional ?
                I doubt it would work as a standalone, considering the power cord comes from the sony deck. I'm looking to upgrade the deck myself, so not sure if i can get power from it w/o the deck. I'll try and look into it when i have some free time and i'll let you know if i figure it out.

Comment

• Revolter
                  • Apr 2007

thanks, so I have useless sub. I brought it alone. Pls let me know if you figure something out.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"