X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpina
    • Nov 2005

acoustic foam - attractive solutions?

hi all,

anyone got any pics of attractive use of acoustic foam in the home?

i know i need some but i dont want it to look out of place in my beautiful room

cheers,

julie
    My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

Foam isn't the best acoustic absorber. Semi-rigid fiberglass panels are much better. The 700 series in this link are the right idea but I'm sure there's something equivalent in Oz. Cover them with fabric/tapestries/rugs that fit in with your 'beautiful home.'

Comment

• collectslps
      • Jan 2007

After significant checking, I recently bought 4 batts of "accoustic bonded recycled cotton"... didn't want fiberglass dust. Bought thin pieces of wood, gorilla tape and wood glue to make frames with the batts attached. > $30 for decorative burlap from a remnants outlet. My bass traps made a noticeable improvement.

Comment

• alpina
        • Nov 2005

you guys checked out this product?

A website design studio that creates simple, fast, usable websites using recognised web standards

julie
        My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by alpina
          you guys checked out this product?
          A website design studio that creates simple, fast, usable websites using recognised web standards

julie
          I am not impressed by the 'art' but YMMV. OTOH, their so-called specifications aren't. I doubt they are significantly effective. Frankly, you need more mass and other materials.

Kal
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• alpina
            • Nov 2005

what do YMMV stand for?

as for specs, is it possible to get a similar effect using better acoustic material?

julie

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by alpina
              what do YMMV stand for?
              Your Mileage May Vary. Indicates that you may feel differently about it.

as for specs, is it possible to get a similar effect using better acoustic material?julie
              I didn't see any effect and their specs page provide absolutely no information. It seems to be a thin panel of foam against the wall and, if so, is almost completely useless for the described purpose.

You should look for compressed fiberglass panels of a minimum of 2" thickness to give adequate absorption in the midrange in order to be effective at the reflection points. If you need it to extend absorption into the upper bass to correct for room modes ~100Hz, you probably need 4" thickness and to put panels across room corners.

I recommend these: http://sensiblesoundsolutions.com/pr...products_id=42

Not artsy but effective.

Kal
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• ralphs99
                • Jul 2005

Hi Julie,

I made some for myself. I think they look pretty good. See what you think...

This website is for sale! aeronet.com.au is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, aeronet.com.au has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Cheers, Ralph
                Aeronet research pages
                Acoustic, Electronic & Speaker Design

Comment

• alpina
                  • Nov 2005

very nice ralph - pleasing on the eyes too

not sure about 150mm depth from a practical perspective, but other than that it gets my thumbs up

julie

Comment

• tf1216
                    • Apr 2006

ralphs99,

Can you please tell me where you purchased your absorber from?

Comment

• engr_dave
                      • Dec 2005

I've been pretty happy with acoustic treatment products from Auralex. They have standard wedge foam panels in various depths and about a dozen colors. Their "metro" series is quite attractive:

Their new "Audiotile" series is also quite interesting and can be assembled in a myriad of patterns and shapes:

Comment

• warnerwh
                        • Jan 2006

Rigid fiberglass is the way to go. You can design the panels or make a false wall. Of course it can look any way you want it to.

I didn't know about rigid fiberglass years ago when I did my room. I used 3"-4" wedge foam. This covers the entire wall behind my system as well as 5' out on the ceiling and side walls. The looks don't bother me too much however rigid fiberglass panels would be more effective, although my acoustics are outstanding, and the price would have been about the same. I know I spent hundreds of dollars on the wedge foam.

While you're doing this you should consider building some bass traps too. The importance of room acoustics should not be underestimated. Acoustics can and more than likely will have a profound effect on the sound presentation of your system.

There's a really good site of ThomasW that has pictures making design and building of the panels or bass traps very easy. Anybody who can use common tools can do it.

Comment

• ralphs99
                          • Jul 2005

Hi TF1216,

I purchased the foam from CMG Latimer Acoustics here in Melbourne. I believe the parent company, where the stuff is actually manufactured, is in New Zealand.

Cheers, Ralph
                          Aeronet research pages

Comment

• ralphs99
                            • Jul 2005

Hi Julie,

The 150mm depth was chosen for the desired low frequency performance. If you are prepared to sacrifice that, then the panel can be made as thin as you like. There are details of how to estimate low frequency performance on the web page.

This website is for sale! aeronet.com.au is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, aeronet.com.au has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Cheers, Ralph
                            Aeronet research pages

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"