X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pez
    • May 2004

DIY TV Stand Pics

Just completed my TV stand (thanks to a new TV) which was based off my former Salamander Archetype audio rack. I used the hardware from the Salamander rack and got some sheets of laminted pine from Home Depot and cut to lengths. I didnt expect to find this type of wood there and was going to use plywood and dress up the unfinished edges. The pine saved me a step and looks very nice. Then used a poly stain to finish off and love how it came out.

These types of racks are great, very flexible. I make make a few more with cheaper wood and hardware for storage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stand_Empty_01.jpg
Views:	15999
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	868447

Name:	Stand_Empty_05.jpg
Views:	8786
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	868448

Name:	Stand_Full_03.jpg
Views:	4461
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	868449

Name:	Stand_Full_05.jpg
Views:	6016
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	868450

Name:	Stand_Full_06.jpg
Views:	4095
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	868451
    Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 18:09 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
  • Gir
    • Dec 2006

Very impressive build, looks great! I might have to steal a few ideas from you
    -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Pez
      • May 2004

Thanks! Generally when it comes to TV stands I am very particular about my needs and can rarely find one to suit to my purposes that doesnt cost a fortune. I tend to change equipment often so the fully adjustable shelves make the stand almost upgrade proof.

This stand is about as easy as it gets to make but there were some issues. First and foremost the drill bit must be the right one for the job. I used an auger bit which was way to agressive and split the wood on most of the holes. Luckily my friend had a power nailer and fixed all the splits. A step drill bit made a world of difference to help make some the holes bigger when the rods would not go smoothly through all the sheets of wood.

When it comes to woodworking I am definately a novice. And the fact I did most of this in an apartment are two good signs of how easy this is to make.

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Fantastic work!

Looks V professional!
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• kpodolski
          • Jun 2006

Wow Pez, awesome job. It looks great. I also built a TV stand out of some Salamader stands I had. I used a side panel from a Sony audio cabinet for my base. I liked it because it's MDF and 2 1/4" thick. It gives it nice heft and a secure feel. I'm still working on trying to hide the wires and what not. That's the one drawback to open stands...you can see all the wires!!!
          Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 18:10 Thursday. Reason: Remove broken image links
          The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• Pez
            • May 2004

Awesome - I like the thick base. Hiding wires is definately an issue. I must say mine are hidden a lot better than I thought they would be. I tried very hard to keep them "neat" using velcro twist ties to bundle the wires together. I have to hook up a couple of more wires, when I do that I will send pics of the back.

Comment

• Bent
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2003

Pez, what did you terminate the ready-rod with on the top shelf?
              It looks very "un-obtrusive", I like it a lot.

Comment

• Pez
                • May 2004

Originally posted by Bent
                Pez, what did you terminate the ready-rod with on the top shelf?
                It looks very "un-obtrusive", I like it a lot.
                Its a piece of hardware that came with the rest of the Salamander rack hardware. Its just an end-cap type piece. If it wasnt for that I am not excatly sure how I would have terminated the top of rods for a nice finshed look.

I can take a picture of it if you like.

Comment

• Dennis H
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2002

If you can't find those nice Salamander pieces, unpronged T-nuts wouldn't look too bad on top. McMaster has them up to 1/2" thread with 1-1/4" base diameter and 3/8" barrel height.

Image not available
                  Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 18:10 Thursday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Pez
                    • May 2004

Originally posted by Dennis H
                    If you can't find those nice Salamander pieces, unpronged T-nuts wouldn't look too bad on top. McMaster has them up to 1/2" thread with 1-1/4" base diameter and 3/8" barrel height.
                    The rods I used are 5/8 inch (the Salamander rods) so those would be perfect. I actually could use a few more, now I know what to look for. I am pretty sure you cant buy just end caps from Salamander. They sell just the nuts/bolts/washers/end caps in a package based on 3/4/5 shelf racks. Hardware from Home Depot or Lowes would be a lot cheaper, just have to paint black if you dont like silver.
                    Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 18:10 Thursday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• warnerwh
                      • Jan 2006

Nice Rack! Very similar to mine. I used large chrome acorn nuts on the top of mine. I also used them on the bottom as mine sits on carpet and it makes it easy to slide around plus it won't tear the carpet.

Comment

• Pez
                        • May 2004

Originally posted by warnerwh
                        Nice Rack! Very similar to mine. I used large chrome acorn nuts on the top of mine. I also used them on the bottom as mine sits on carpet and it makes it easy to slide around plus it won't tear the carpet.
                        Would it be possible to post a pic of the acron nuts? I need to do something better for the feet that allows for a little mobility.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"