X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpha575
    • Apr 2007

RS28AS vs. RS28A Acoustic Properties

Hi Everyone,

I'm just about to bite the bullet and order the parts for my 4.0 home theater system. Since I want a small set of speakers using the RS drivers, I've decided to build the Encore speaker which you can find on the PE front page.

Right now the tweeter that is used in this design happens to be the RS28AS *Sheilded* Dayton RS tweeter. I was curious as to how much different this is acoustically from the RS28A *unshielded* tweeter. The reason I ask is twofold. First, I'm planning on adding 3 speakers to these in the future, and turning my system into 7.1. In this case, I've been told I should match the tweeters between all the HT speakers. However, most of the designs on this site use RS28A unshielded tweeters.

Ideally every speaker I build would be using the unshielded tweeter, since there seems to be more designs with this configuration. However, I'm wondering how big of a diference it would make if I 1) Used an unshielded tweeter in the mains to match with shielded tweeters in the surrounds OR 2) Used a shielded tweeter in the mains in place of the unshielded tweeter specified in the designs.

Any insights? Thanks.
  • Brian Bunge
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2001

The RS28AS has a higher Fs than the 28A so they are not interchangeable. If you are going to build some of the other designs here using the 28A then you may want to try Chris' RS150/RS28A TM design linked here:

You can use the same cabinet as the Encore and just use Chris' crossover design.
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 17:29 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• alpha575
      • Apr 2007

Damn, I was afraid that was the case. I was hoping I could take advantage of the 7 dollar discount currently going on for the Shielded RS tweeter. Guess I have some decisions to make . Thanks.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2001

Well, the standard tweeter is $43.30 for 4+, so there's only a $3.30 difference between them and the sale price of the shielded tweeter.

Oh, but there is Chris' MTM design which has a variant for the RS28AS. You could build 3 of them for the front and then go with the Encores for surrounds.

Comment

• Ecir38
          • Oct 2006

Thread is here

Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 17:29 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url
          BR

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"