X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Turntable mods

I'm shopping for a TT and have begun to lose what's left of my mind. If I get a TT with captive cables , is it all that difficult to solder RCA jacks in place instead? (mmf-5) It seems like a little drilling and fabrication for the actual mounting points and four solder joints should do it. Or am I underestimating the level of difficulty? I realize this is mostly a speaker forum , but if you guys build speakers someone may have modded TTs. :B

Experience exceptional sound quality with Music Hall Audio. Discover our selection of turntables, phono pre-amps & headphone amps, and vinyl cleaners to enhance your listening experience. From casual listeners to audiophiles, we have everything you need to elevate your audio setup. Explore our products now.
    Last edited by Alaric; 13 April 2007, 19:19 Friday. Reason: add link
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

You will do anything to use those Cat Cables!!!!!!!

It might seem a bit strange/scary to mod a new TT, but if there is room inside the chassis, you should be able to do it. I might recommend Cardas terminals. A drill with sharp bits, and a soldering iron should accomplish 90% of the job. What material is the chassis made from? Can you go to an audio shop to take a very good at the TT?
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• tyler
      • Feb 2007

I have modded a few Technics 1200MK5 TT's with excellent results. Many mods for the Technics can be found at www.kabusa.com. One of the best mods that they offer is the record clamp.

The biggest improvement is gained on this TT when changing the tone arm. Changing the arm will also require replacing the stock arm board. The arm boards can be purchased at www.originlive.com. They also offer the OL1 and Rega 250 arms for the arm board.

The results when using an OL1 tone arm on this TT is very impressive. :T

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Rear plate on the TT is metal. Aside from my apparent cable fixation , I wasn't real impressed with the fixed cables on the TT , and have heard some pretty disparaging remarks about their quality. Considering the price of a mmf-5 , I guess they had to save where they could.

The deal I had in mind is here http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....abl&1180969084
        Also looking at http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....abl&1181466094
        I think the Marantz is a rebadged Clearaudio Emotion.

Also this http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....abl&1181609936

Not to mention the 5 gazillion other choices..... :drool:

Just noticed sale pending on the first one!
        Last edited by Alaric; 13 April 2007, 19:46 Friday. Reason: oops
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

more options

Tyler , thanks for the info! The Technics 1200 series seems to have quite the following , and I've heard direct drives can tend towards tighter bass response. I still have a few doubts about a DJ table and direct drive , but the reviews are so far impressive.

Price came down a little on this one! http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....abl&1180919717
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• tyler
            • Feb 2007

Alaric, The Technics does not always get the respect in the Audiophile community and is referred to as a dj turntable. The truth of matter is, it is sold in the millions and this justifies the lower cost. If it were built by a small shop somewhere the development and manufacturing cost would be ridicules! Read the article here regarding the development of the Technics http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/index.htm

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

It's advertised as a DJ table by Needle Doctor and Todd The Vinyl Junkie. In fact , Technics advertises them as DJ tables.Interesting link-now I have some more reading to do!
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• tyler
                • Feb 2007

Yes, designed for the dj. But also a great performer for listening if it is setup for that.

Comment

• chasw98
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Or go look for a real Technics..... A SP10!http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/sp10page.html

Comment

• Alaric
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Good link. I wonder , though , are there any potential issues with all those magnets on the platter and the pick-up (cartridge) being dependent on magnetism in one form or another?
                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                    Schiit Modi 3
                    Marantz CD5005
                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• JoshK
                      • Mar 2005

well, i am pretty far from being real experienced with tt's, but i had the mmf-5 and i really didn't like the tonearm. i think it was partly the ergonomics. many speak highly of it but i moved onto a rega planar 2 or 3...just briefly, but i kept the arm. i use it with my homebrewed teres.

my thought on putting jacks in the table is you are adding mass, which will add more parasitics, in a highly sensitive area. the cart is putting out a tiny signal and i think getting rid of any and all connections is best. no removeable headshell, no din connectors, no rca's. heck, i am planning to hard wire the tone arm cable into my phono stage. the only reason i haven't is because i haven't set my table back up. home is in renovation and the dust has kept me from bring it back out.

Comment

• tyler
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by chasw98
                        Or go look for a real Technics..... A SP10!http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/sp10page.html
                        Yes, I agree. ;x(

But I did not think that was in his budget. 8O

Also, many of the great vinyl recordings out there were mastered on a SP-02 cutting lathe. In the late 70's Matsushita formed a Special Pruducts group "SP". Their work produced the SP-02 and the SP series of transcription turntables finally culminating in the integrated Technics SL-1200. The 1200 is the outcome of years of research.

Comment

• Alaric
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

Yes , Tyler , you are absolutely correct about things not in my budget. Still researching those Techs'.
                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                          Schiit Modi 3
                          Marantz CD5005
                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by JoshK
                            well, i am pretty far from being real experienced with tt's, but i had the mmf-5 and i really didn't like the tonearm. i think it was partly the ergonomics. many speak highly of it but i moved onto a rega planar 2 or 3...just briefly, but i kept the arm. i use it with my homebrewed teres.

my thought on putting jacks in the table is you are adding mass, which will add more parasitics, in a highly sensitive area. the cart is putting out a tiny signal and i think getting rid of any and all connections is best. no removeable headshell, no din connectors, no rca's. heck, i am planning to hard wire the tone arm cable into my phono stage. the only reason i haven't is because i haven't set my table back up. home is in renovation and the dust has kept me from bring it back out.
                            I was going with the theory that a good connection is better than a crappy wire.
                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                            Schiit Modi 3
                            Marantz CD5005
                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• JoshK
                              • Mar 2005

you could rewire it. i would think some fine silver wire, like that you can get from a-medical, could be called for. this is diy.

Comment

• tyler
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Alaric
                                Good link. I wonder , though , are there any potential issues with all those magnets on the platter and the pick-up (cartridge) being dependent on magnetism in one form or another?
                                With a rumble figure of -80dB, Speed accuracy of 0.005% and Wow & Flutter of 0.01% I would say no. Most players wow and flutter are 0.02%.

Comment

• Alaric
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by tyler
                                  With a rumble figure of -80dB, Speed accuracy of 0.005% and Wow & Flutter of 0.01% I would say no. Most players wow and flutter are 0.02%.
                                  I would say you make a pretty fair argument.

I will consider that question answered!
                                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                  Schiit Modi 3
                                  Marantz CD5005
                                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ecir38
                                    • Oct 2006

Alaric, any updates on what you diecided on.
                                    BR

Comment

• tyler
                                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ecir38
                                      Alaric, any updates on what you diecided on.
                                      I would also be interested in what your decision was Alaric......

Comment

• Alaric
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

The winner is.....

I found a great deal on a new mmf-5SE. I was aiming for a mmf-7 but my future ex-wife has turned into a monetary black hole. So , for a few hundred bucks under suggested retail , I got this

Experience exceptional sound quality with Music Hall Audio. Discover our selection of turntables, phono pre-amps & headphone amps, and vinyl cleaners to enhance your listening experience. From casual listeners to audiophiles, we have everything you need to elevate your audio setup. Explore our products now.

Money turned into a larger issue than I hoped when this began , but I'm still expecting an improvement over the Sony I have now. FedEx claims I will take delivery on Tuesday.
                                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                        Schiit Modi 3
                                        Marantz CD5005
                                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Glowbug
                                          • May 2007

I've heard good things about those Music Halls...they've sold a ton of them, that's for sure.

Something tells me the build quality won't be quite up to what a Technics 1200 offers, though

Comment

• Ecir38
                                            • Oct 2006

Alaric, looks like you will be happy with your purchase, keep us updated. What will you be using as a phono amp?

To my suprise, I cannot find any turntable forums or any forums that have a turntable section. Can anyone help me out with this? In this day and age with all of the turntables out there i find this odd.
                                            BR

Comment

• Ecir38
                                              • Oct 2006

go figure, i found this thread at the HTguide with some good links in it. http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=20585
                                              will post future TT? here in the future
                                              BR

Comment

• tyler
                                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Glowbug
                                                Something tells me the build quality won't be quite up to what a Technics 1200 offers, though
                                                I agree, no contest in that department IMO.

Comment

• Saurav
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Dec 2004

To my suprise, I cannot find any turntable forums or any forums that have a turntable section.
                                                  Audio Asylum - Vinyl Asylum - Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.

Haven't been there in years though, so I don't know what it's like any more. It used to be pretty normal - good info mixed in with large egos.

Comment

• Ecir38
                                                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Saurav
                                                    http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html

Haven't been there in years though, so I don't know what it's like any more. It used to be pretty normal - good info mixed in with large egos.
                                                    Thanks don't know how i missed that, been at the asylum recently for the pc audio section. Found this link at the audioasylum which looks like it amy be a good one too.
                                                    BR

Comment

• Alaric
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Ecir38
                                                      Alaric, looks like you will be happy with your purchase, keep us updated. What will you be using as a phono amp?

To my suprise, I cannot find any turntable forums or any forums that have a turntable section. Can anyone help me out with this? In this day and age with all of the turntables out there i find this odd.

My pre has a MM phono stage , but at the moment I'm using a Bellari VP129. TT isn't run in yet , but so far I'm pleased with the combo.
                                                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                      Schiit Modi 3
                                                      Marantz CD5005
                                                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Glowbug
                                                        I've heard good things about those Music Halls...they've sold a ton of them, that's for sure.

If I ever decide to DJ I'll keep that in mind. Besides , if it never breaks , how will I know when to upgrade?
                                                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                        Schiit Modi 3
                                                        Marantz CD5005
                                                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• JoshK
                                                          • Mar 2005

There will always be a DD vs BD feud, but its funny to see some really hi-end BD manufacturers finding dharma in DD.

(I own a diy teres, fwiw)

Comment

• Ecir38
                                                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by JoshK
                                                            (I own a diy teres, fwiw)
                                                            Do you have a build thread?
                                                            BR

Comment

• JoshK
                                                              • Mar 2005

No, I only took a few pictures, a couple while it building. They are in my gallery on audiocircle.

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"