X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kravi4ka
    • Feb 2006

SS 8545 and Seas Millennium-possible?

Hi, I do know that this is a newb question (at least the search on the net shows that there are no 2-ways with that combination) but of friend of mine has these two and would like to make a 2-way speaker. Is it really imposible to mate them? If someone has a design with them or has an idea we will truly greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance, please excuse my low level of logic, it's only based on lack of knowledge in the field. ops:
  • cotdt
    • Oct 2005

it's definately possible, and a great combo.

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Sure it is possible. I'd talk to Dan at http://www.knology.net/~wesnor/ or check out his projects that come close to your proposal.

Jed

Comment

• kravi4ka
        • Feb 2006

Thanks for the suggestions, I hope that someone has already done something with them and will continue the search, we do not have any measuring equipment and that's a huge problem. One way to approach things is to use a proven box design for the woofer with a filter for it and try to adapt the tweeter. But if someone can help it will be really great... Thanks friends

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by kravi4ka
          Thanks for the suggestions, I hope that someone has already done something with them and will continue the search, we do not have any measuring equipment and that's a huge problem. One way to approach things is to use a proven box design for the woofer with a filter for it and try to adapt the tweeter. But if someone can help it will be really great... Thanks friends
          If you can get FRD files and ZMA files emailed to me I'll take a stab at it for ya. What type of crossover do you want? LR2? LR4? and at what frequency? I think I have the files for Millennium tweeter, just not the 8545 Scanspeak. So that is what I'll need to get started.

Jed

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Here you go, this should get you close since I used measured files for the tweeter and simulations for the woofer.

Let me know how it sounds. Go here for cabinet suggestions to tune the woofer response and get the best bass response. http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Amish_8545_9500.htm
            Don't use his crossover obviously. My design is 4th order at 1.8K. The tweeter can handle it no problem.

The attached picture is how your box should look with placement of the tweeter. Feel free to make it a tower speaker, just keep the width around 8.5-9".

Jed
            Attached Files

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

I played around a bit more to smooth the response. Here is the result. This is probably where I would start even though it uses a few more components. The impedance looks similar to the last picture I posted, so I didn't bother including it here. The 5mH inductor can be pretty much any DCR, so if it is 2ohms, then subtract that from the 15ohm resistor (change to 13ohms) so the total is 15ohms. The series 2.2mH should be 14 gauge aircore. Remember this is a simulation, but it should get you really close since I used SEAS measurements in the box pictured above, minimum phase, and baffle step compensation.

Jed
              Attached Files

Comment

• kravi4ka
                • Feb 2006

Thank you so much, I did not have time to log in the last days but seening this is like a dream come true, thanks a million again! I will be travelling around the world the next few weeks but when I come back the MDF dust will rival Krakatoa What a great forum, you guys are just 100% magicians!

Comment

• Jed
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by kravi4ka
                  Thank you so much, I did not have time to log in the last days but seening this is like a dream come true, thanks a million again! I will be travelling around the world the next few weeks but when I come back the MDF dust will rival Krakatoa What a great forum, you guys are just 100% magicians!
                  Thanks for the compliments! I'd be interested to see how your build goes and how the speakers sound. Please get back to us, especially if you think the speakers need a tweak or 2.

Jed

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"