X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ruseriousclark
    • Feb 2007

Line Arrays in HT application

Was put to me that a line array configuration in a dedicated theatre might be a worth while approach.

Any design issues to consider? Such as horizontal configurations for a Center.

The referrence began with the Areil System 1 as a model and then moved to a line array as an optoin.

Just looking for reasons for or against.
    <-- Beware of Fluffy...He is the destroyer of Worlds!
  • Gir
    • Dec 2006

If you're planning on designing a line array, Griffin's white paper (Attached) is a must read. Big thing to watch out for is comb filtering, so a low crossover point and ribbon tweeters are the way to go. Read the white paper and you'll see what I'm talking about. I'd really love to see someone get a line array in the mission accomplished, because I really want to know if it's worth it or not. Good luck!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by theSven; 03 July 2023, 22:23 Monday. Reason: Attach PDF
    -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Rick Craig
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by ruseriousclark
      Was put to me that a line array configuration in a dedicated theatre might be a worth while approach.

The referrence began with the Areil System 1 as a model and then moved to a line array as an optoin.

What's your budget? For the center channel a good WTMW design will work very well.

Comment

• Rudy Jakubin
        • May 2005

Originally posted by ruseriousclark

The reference began with the Areil System 1 as a model and then moved to a line array as an option.

Absolutely no need for a center channel, sub, sides, or rears.
        Well subs if you want to disassemble your house.

10 - Dayton 5 1/4" aluminum woofers and 6 Dayton Planars per side...
        Crossed at 2500 hz 4th order...

Click image for larger version

Name:	hpnx0294.webp
Views:	8
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	943868
        Last edited by theSven; 03 July 2023, 22:24 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Gir
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Rudy Jakubin

Absolutely no need for a center channel, sub, sides, or rears.
          Well subs if you want to disassemble your house.

10 - Dayton 5 1/4" aluminum woofers and 6 Dayton Planars per side...
          Crossed at 2500 hz 4th order...

Click image for larger version  Name:	hpnx0294.webp Views:	0 Size:	13.1 KB ID:	943868

Your crossover frequency is twice the the length of the center to center spacing of the drivers (provided I calculated that right). Do you have any problems with comb filtering? I thought once you get above 1.5 the crossover wavelength it would become noticeable. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

-Tyler

[EDIT]
          Whoops, I'm dumb. Your at just about 1 wavelength, never mind!
          Last edited by theSven; 03 July 2023, 22:24 Monday. Reason: Update quote
          -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"