• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MOState
    • Jun 2006

Nearly done with my coffee table/sub

Here are some construction pictures

Here's where it is now...

I was wonder if I should line the inside with egg crate foam? Even if not the whole enclosure, but directly behind the woofer?
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

Egg crate foam won't really do much inside a subwoofer, just based on the frequencies. Usually people use fiberglass, but I don't think it will be very necessary. The box looks fairly well braced- I think you'll run into problems with port noise before anything else.

How tall do you plan on making the legs? So I've heard, 3 or 4 inches should really be the minimum. Nice finishing job- those likes look nice and smooth.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Interesting design....I'd lay in fiberglass where ever you can put it so that it doesn't interfere with the operation of the port.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• MOState
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by joecarrow
        Egg crate foam won't really do much inside a subwoofer, just based on the frequencies. Usually people use fiberglass, but I don't think it will be very necessary. The box looks fairly well braced- I think you'll run into problems with port noise before anything else.

How tall do you plan on making the legs? So I've heard, 3 or 4 inches should really be the minimum. Nice finishing job- those likes look nice and smooth.
        I've bounced some ideas around in my head with the PE black chrome carpet spikes and 1 or 2" "spacers"

Originally posted by ThomasW
        Interesting design....I'd lay in fiberglass where ever you can put it so that it doesn't interfere with the operation of the port.
        Are you just speaking of regular batt insulation with the paper backing removed?

Comment

• MOState
          • Jun 2006

Also I will be putting a glass table top on it resting on some rubber or acrylic bumpers. I figure a big thick piece of glass would be heavy enough to not rattle.

I kinda want your opinions.

Rectangle or Oval?

Also, I have a tv stand with black tinted glass...should I get the glass to match, get it smoked(which isn't as dark), or leave it clear?

I also think I could get the 3/8" clear class for $87.50 and buy some limo tint and tint the glass myself

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MOState
            Are you just speaking of regular batt insulation with the paper backing removed?
            Yes..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• joecarrow
              • Apr 2005

I'd go with the surfboard or racetrack. Try to see a color sample in person, then go with your gut.

I'm not sure if it's going to rattle, but I would think that having rubber spacers between it and the sub would help a lot, and the spikes will take away some tendency of the sub to bounce up and down as a whole. With a downfiring sub like that, there is a force acting on the cabinet that lifts it off of the ground- if the sub is heavy enough and not sitting on something springy then it won't move.
              -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

I was thinking the same... Surfboard would probably be my choice.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"