X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justanie
    • Jan 2007

Dipole help!!!

Hi Guys,

After reading all the threads on diploe speakers, I think its time to try and build a pair.

This is where i need your help (Please............)

The deal is, I have many driver sitting around and some others in use which i have no problem using if it warrents a better result.

What i would like is you you guys to give me your opinion as to which driver you think are likley to yeald the better results.

I would prefer to use stuff i already have as money is tight at the mo.

For amps:
    Hafler d200
    Mitsubishi da10
    Adcom gfa1a

For eq
    Sony e9000es has parametric eq
    Kef cube

Choice of drivers:
    Tweeter:
    Vifa xt25
    Dayton rs28a
    Seas 29tff/w silk
    focal tc 90tdx

for mids:
    Vifa pl18-04 x2
    Hi-vi m8a x2
    Hi-vi m4n x4 spl 82db :cry:
    Hi-vi d6.8 x4
    Davis 13KLV5MA x2

For woofers:
    Dayton rss315hf x2
    kef b139 x2

I plan to buy a behringer active ox

As far as eq is concerned, is what i have enough or do i need to seek more drastic measures

Thanks in advance for your imput.
    You guys do great work......

Justin.....
  • Doug Lockwood
    • Mar 2005

I think you can get good results with many of the drivers.
    My test baffles are 1/2 HD plywood scraps I picked up for $2.

A Behringer DCX2496 has useful EQ built in for OB speakers. Whether it is "enough" depends on the drivers, the baffle size, driver placement, etc.

Quick question. What is your SPL target?
    Question 2. How big is the room?
    Question 3. Do you have some measuring capabilities?
    Question 4. Is this a learning experience?
    Question 5. What are your expectations?

My observation on parametric EQ remind me of the Proverb:
    A man with a watch knows what time it is.
    A man with 2 watches is never sure.

Doug

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The TA-P9000ES is a nice pre-pro (I have one), it's a pretty poor equalizer though.

You might want to simply copy the Arvo design. At this point it may not be state-of-the-art, but my guess is that it's better than what most people can design from scratch.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by justanie
        Hi Guys,

After reading all the threads on diploe speakers, I think its time to try and build a pair.

This is where i need your help (Please............)

The deal is, I have many driver sitting around and some others in use which i have no problem using if it warrents a better result.

What i would like is you you guys to give me your opinion as to which driver you think are likley to yeald the better results.

I would prefer to use stuff i already have as money is tight at the mo.

For amps:
        Hafler d200
        Mitsubishi da10
        Adcom gfa1a

For eq
        Sony e9000es has parametric eq
        Kef cube

Choice of drivers:
        Tweeter:
        Vifa xt25
        Dayton rs28a
        Seas 29tff/w silk
        focal tc 90tdx

for mids:
        Vifa pl18-04 x2
        Hi-vi m8a x2
        Hi-vi m4n x4 spl 82db :cry:
        Hi-vi d6.8 x4
        Davis 13KLV5MA x2

For woofers:
        Dayton rss315hf x2
        kef b139 x2

I plan to buy a behringer active ox

As far as eq is concerned, is what i have enough or do i need to seek more drastic measures

Thanks in advance for your imput.
        You guys do great work......

Justin.....
        Read a bit about the Arvo stuff in the Heavy Metal Testing thread and others, and ESPECIALLY look at one of the last entrys on the Biamp configuration Arvo, then, as Blind Faith said, "Do what you Like".

With the drivers you have on hand, I'm not sure what I'd recommend- the RS28a is more forgiving of average electronics and sources; the TC90tdx doesn't go as low, and is RUTHLESSLY exposing of average components (especialy digital) and their short comings. I'm a fanboy of the TC120tdx and tdc, if you had a set of those, I'd recommend putting in the extra effort to work with them. (the only reason I dont' use them in my own "published" design is the difficulty of sourcing them- I have some, but most folks might balk at the limited availability).

For your mids, there are documented designs/starting point with the M8a, but I think the D6.8 could work pretty nicely, too, and be easier to sort out the crossover if you're striking out on your own. Would be possible to work wtih a higher tweeter crossover, but then you have to be concerned about CTC issues.

Good electronics to use with the Focals are things like Sony's and Marantz's top of the line SACD players (NOT the lower end models), Ayre and Cary SACD players, vacuum state or low/no feedback solid state amplification (Ayre, Theta Digital, BAT), and first rate cables without any treble emphasis (think Ayre Signature or Cardas Golden reference, say, probably not Cardas Neutral reference (which are also a skosh analytical in presentation).

The RS315HF is good for the woofer, even better would be a pair of the RS390, for the additional swept volume; my "budget" follow up for the Isiris would/will use those, in all likelihood.

A single 12 per side is questionable... the single 15 is a better choice, and the four ohm impedance would help the net sensitivity. If you only have a single twelve per side, there's not much point in going with more than one midrange driver- unless you'll biamp to a monopole or dipole subwoofer to relieve the RS315 below say, 75Hz.

Use a baffle design that provides accoustical solutions to accoustical problems as much as possible. EDGE is your friend. Don't rely on active EQ to solve all your problems. Consider a passive upper end crossover, and configuration like the biamp Arvo, regardless of what drivers you choose.

Read this post before proceeding.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• justanie
          • Jan 2007

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. Judging by what you have said, i think it is going to be out of my price range to build this project to a standard that i will be happy with. :cry: :cry:

So anyways, i decided to use the rs315s, for what i bought them for in the first place. I am building an 18x18x36 double sealed w/ 2 separate compartments and a single, 18x18x18 for my second system. The double will weigh so much that i will have to place it where it needs to be before i put the drivers in. It will be powered by an Adcom gfa1a 300 a channel-4ohm
          with a paradigm x30 crossover. Hopefully it will be a great upgrade over my decware WO. Pic--Double on the bottom with the single stacked on top.

Also i Have decided to build a pair of Nat Ps, I have read so much great stuff about them, I think its time to see for myself. Decided to try the curved side boxes, this is a first for me, I have got the back and sides glued up without problems, Yesterday i started laying fiberglass on the side pannels to streghen them. Messy job but worthwhile i hope.

Can document more of the build if anyone is interested.
          Attached Files

Comment

• wmilas
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
            Good electronics to use with the Focals are things like Sony's and Marantz's top of the line SACD players (NOT the lower end models), Ayre and Cary SACD players, vacuum state or low/no feedback solid state amplification (Ayre, Theta Digital, BAT), and first rate cables without any treble emphasis (think Ayre Signature or Cardas Golden reference, say, probably not Cardas Neutral reference (which are also a skosh analytical in presentation).
            Uh.. I'm not sure I'm reading this right, and I don't want to start a flame war because thats not the point of this post.. but uh, those cables are like $1k per meter on the interconnects... you serious? Maybe I missed the sarcasm somewhere?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"