X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • angeloitacare
    • Apr 2007

idea of a small monitor with 8" woofer/tractrix horn

hi all

i've drawn a small monitor, using a 8" woofer and 12" diameter tractrix horn for mid/high. idea is to use a bms 4590 coax compression driver , crossed at 600hz,
    and a precision devices woofer, http://www.precisiondevices.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=74

any sugestions/comments ?

Angelo

Click image for larger version

Name:	audio voice piccolo small size.jpg
Views:	5774
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	868438
    Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 20:36 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Nice looking design you've drawn up.

Be aware that Precision devices seems to be "fudging" on the Xmax- they rate it at 16 mm P-P, implyin a linear Xmax of 8 mm in one direction, BUT, the coil depth is 13 mm, while the gap depth is 6.5 mm, which works out to about 2.5 mm each way...- not long throw for a 8, though in a monitor application in small enclosure (they're talking 5-20 liters, whereas most 8" two way systems I've done have gone around 44-68 liters), so , consider it's really a midbass/midrange driver, which is kind of confirmed with a Qts of 0.279. The true sensitivity in the range you plan on using it is more like 90 dB, not shabby, but not the peak output of 93 in the upper midrange.

I'm inclined to think that a Dayton RS270 might be a better match, what with 90.5 dB/W sensitivity, and 6.6 mm of Xmax. Plus quite a bit more Sd. It would come closer to keeping up with the horn and BMS driver, and isn't all that dear price wise. Unless of course YOU are in the UK, then that's another matter.

Other woofers to think about for high efficiency with a 600 Hz crososver might include an Eighteen Sound 12ND930, 12NLW9300; Ciare 8.50NdW (if you insist on an 8" high efficiency), maybe the 10.5NdW or 12.00NdW1.

Just some ideas...

Are you planning on building the horn yourself? Why not an oblate spheriod, with it's lower HOM and generally nicely controlled dispersion?
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• angeloitacare
      • Apr 2007

the dayton seems interesting

hi Jon

thanks for your reply. The bms drivers are very fast, high sensivity
      (112db/wm) , so i need a mid/bass that catches up on them. i don't know if it makes even sense to use a 8" woofer. Probably a 10" is the better choice. In the drawing can be seen the size difference of the cab's, using a 8", and a 10" woofer. While the cab with the 10" is 32" x 17" x 24" ( not so small anymore ), with the 8" it gets 24" x 13" x 18".

The dayton seems interesting, however i dont know if aluminium cone sounds good. I like more paper cone. Sensivity is no problem, i would have to built in a attenuator anyway for the horn.
      The german company AES :

uses the Beyma 10LW30/N in combination with bms4592nd driver and 250hz tractrix horn : http://www.beyma.de/seiten/framesets...t_beymapa.html
      it seems to me to be a good match. What do u think ?

i dont know what is oblate spheriod, never heard. I live in brazil, and pretend to make the horns with two solid wood blocks, glued together, and than worked on a lathe.

What i want to accomplish, is small size, high-end performance, the woofer
      very fast, and going as deep as possible. how abought to split between upper bass, and sub bass , adding a subwoofer , downfiring ? i've no one seen doing that. i dont know if i would have to shield in this case one woofer.

rds angelo

Click image for larger version

Name:	Audio Voice comparison.jpg
Views:	1534
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	847884
      Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 20:37 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Tommythecat
        • Nov 2005

I think some answers are in order...like are you building the horn? What's covering the bottom octaves (certainly not the 8")? Where would you cross that?

It just seems like: Why cock around at that point with a horn that big just to mate it crossed so low to an 8? And if you're willing to build a tractrix horn, just try an OS - otherwise (for less time/hassle/effort/tools) go with a properly terminated conical horn.

When designing around an 8" mid - I feel the real benefit is the fact that I can cross higher while maintaining a smooth polar response around the crossover point. This allows for the use of a 1" exit compression driver mated to a smaller horn - then the horn+mid can be squeezed together to minimize lobing problems.

The 4590+12" horn seems like a match for a 10/12" mid and 15/18" midbass.

edit:shoot, you responded before me...

Comment

• angeloitacare
          • Apr 2007

hi Tommy

i will built the horn. I want a small enclosure, that's why i want to use max a 10" woofer. As it is very difficult to have a woofer, witch is fast, and goes deep at the same time, it's why i think if it would be a solution/good idea to use a mid/bass front firing, and a sub woofer down firing. I do not want that someone has to buy a separate subwoofer. I want to cross as low as the horn alouds, as i want the horn to cover as much as possible. That alouds more phase coherence and to use the benefit of one point source. what is os ?

Comment

• Paul W
            • Oct 2004

Google for a program called "Hornresp". With it, you can model Tractrix, OS (Obulate Spheriod), Spherical, and many other profiles. After modeling an OS in Hornresp, you'll need to add a large radius (~1/4 wavelength) roundover at the mouth to minimize diffraction.

I also vote for a larger LF driver. The BMS will be still be coasting long after an 8" is overdriven.
            Paul

Comment

• angeloitacare
              • Apr 2007

hi all

just wondering : to use a subwoofer for the lowest octaves, would i need to shield the volume of the driver? some manufactures do use subs in the backpannel, like zu. i think it would be a interesting solution, to put a sub, downfiring. but i dont know if it would give interferences internally, it i wont shield it. anyone can give me a answer on this ?

thanks Angelo

Comment

• Paul W
                • Oct 2004

If by shield you mean a separate partition or separate chamber for the subwoofer, the answer is yes it does need to be isolated from the midbass.
                Paul

Comment

• angeloitacare
                  • Apr 2007

sub downfiring

thanks, paul, for your info.
                  do u have any experience with sub's ? i want to use a 10" sub, witch does need only a small volume, working from 20hz - 50hz. i was thinking abought peerless, may dayton, ore adire.

Angelo

Comment

• Paul W
                    • Oct 2004

Downfiring is fine, but 10" is small to me...it can be overpowered by BMS top end. I have BMS 4552ND, so I can guarantee BMS compression drivers in a waveguide will play LOUD with low distortion.

If you have small room 10" may be okay. Dayton aluminum cone RS subs should give you excellent performance. Sealed enclosure for midbass and sub will help minimize cabinet size. (By the way, I think you have excellent visual design.)
                    Paul
                    Paul

Comment

• angeloitacare
                      • Apr 2007

may a atenuator resolves efficiency discrepance ?

hi Paul

i know , the BMS has a staggering 113db/wm, and a small, 8" woofer, does not have more than 93db, in the best case. i think to resolve this, there are two ways: bi amplification, ore use a atenuator. As i would have to seal a downfiring woofer, and i do not have enouth space, may the best will be just use one frontfiring woofer, with enough low octave output. Someone gave me a hint to try A Beyma 8BR40, it looks nice, is cheap, and has low fs, (31hz). That would be proably a good match.

thanks, rds Angelo

Comment

• Paul W
                        • Oct 2004

Hi Angelo,
                        Yes, I agree single front woofer is a better way to go. However, I would do it with more than 8" with 5mm Xmax. Anyhow, have fun!
                        Paul
                        Paul

Comment

• angeloitacare
                          • Apr 2007

pic's of the bigger enclosure at factory

hi Paul

here some pic's I made today of the first speaker I am building:

Images not available

rds Angelo
                          Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 20:38 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Paul W
                            • Oct 2004

Angelo,
                            Those will look very nice when you are done. Will you turn the horns on a lathe or build a mold?
                            Regards,
                            Paul
                            Paul

Comment

• angeloitacare
                              • Apr 2007

they will be made on a lathe

hi Paul

the first pair, i will use Orphean Horns of BD-design, ABS plastic, red automotive color. But in the future i pretend to make wood horns, made on a lathe.

rds Angelo

Comment

• angeloitacare
                                • Apr 2007

hi all

here some new ideas:

Images not available
                                Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 20:38 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• JoshK
                                  • Mar 2005

Muito Bem Angelo!

Can you buy the horns seperately or do you have to purchase their speaker kit? I have been curious about the BMS 4592 since I first saw it.

Comment

• angeloitacare
                                    • Apr 2007

you can buy only the drivers

hi,

you can buy the drivers and filter separetely.

Comment

• Paul W
                                      • Oct 2004

Josh,
                                      If you're looking for tractrix, these are a decent price. They will drill the flange for BMS for free and even do custom colors for a small premium. As I recall, the shipping quote was about 50 euros.

Angelo,
                                      The pictures you are posting are truly inspirational. Keep them coming!
                                      Paul
                                      Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 20:39 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken eBay link
                                      Paul

Comment

• angeloitacare
                                        • Apr 2007

tractrix horns

hi josh

if you want wood tractrix horns, like cessaro and hornfabrik eder from germany make, with plywood , i will make the first pair ,starting next week. the pair withou flange shoul be around 700us. if you are interested, let me know.

more pictures

Explore New pictures almost every day !!’s 186 photos on Flickr!

rds Angelo

Comment

• JoshK
                                          • Mar 2005

Angelo,

Thanks but I'm not ready to play with tratrix yet, just a bit curious. I have too many things to finish up first. The thing I like about the BD Design horns, at least from sight, is they don't look as deep and a broader dispersion. The horns from german on ebay look quite narrow in their dispersion (and therefore deep).

I am still looking for someone to create a large OS waveguide like 15". At some point in the future I am going to buy a wood lathe and learn to spin. Now I have no room and no time.

Comment

• JoshK
                                            • Mar 2005

P.S. where in the North do you live? I've been to Salvador de Bahia (Carnaval '01).

Comment

• angeloitacare
                                              • Apr 2007

i live in aracaju

hi josh

aracaju is the next city north of salvador, abought 300km.

rds Angelo

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"