X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lindahl
    • Dec 2006

Fiberglass Resin?

I remember reading somewhere that fiberglass resin was better than caulking because it does a good job seeping into the cracks. This stuff (fiberglass resin) is not very viscous at all. If you were to use it on two sides before it sets, one side would not be covered very well, since the resin would slide out of the cracks and down the side. Do you mix it with some kind of filling compound (MDF dust?) to make it more viscous, or do you only use the resin on one side at a time, letting it dry before moving to another side, in order to avoid the dripping/movement?
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

I think resin was suggested after assembly. Pour a bit into the corner and move your cabinet around to get coverage on the inside of seams. Similarly, you could brush/roll it on the outside of a cabinet after assembly to seal up the raw ends and fill the seams.

Polyester resin isn't the best glue if you want to glue your boxes together with resin. If you want to use epoxy there are various fillers available. See WEST System and System 3 (two brand that come to mind, I've used WEST on a boat) Good old yellow glue is plenty strong enough, though.

Comment

• Lindahl
      • Dec 2006

Oh, I'll be using Tightbond III wood glue. Just wondering what's the best way to seal the boxes. So you don't mix the the fiberglass resin with any sort of filler so you can do more than one side at a time?

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

Just wondering what's the best way to seal the boxes
        Accurate cuts and lots of clamps. A good glue joint is airtight and doesn't need any additional sealing.

Comment

• jquin
          • Dec 2006

I got convinced to buy the West System by the sales staff at a fibreglass supply store.
          I haven't used it yet but they advised that the epoxy had a low viscosity so the sold me some "microfibre blend" (looks like powdered glass) which can be added to thicken up the epoxy.
          The West system may be massive overkill for the task, there maybe cheaper options.
          It was my impression that epoxy is used in speaker building for it's sound deadening properties rather than something like superior strength.

Regards
          John Q

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"