Slightly OT: What's in your shop between speaker projects?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • engr_dave
    • Dec 2005

Slightly OT: What's in your shop between speaker projects?

I took a break between the "Assault on SQ" subwoofers project and a pair of Modula MTM floorstanders (starting in a couple of weeks) to build some tables for the family room. They're done in solid purpleheart, pecan, and glass. Sort of a wild color combination, but they tie in the pecan entertainment wall, some plum couches and an Andy Warhol rug. I know some of you like PMazz are fine woodworkers... anything interesting in your shop? :g>
    Attached Files
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

Those look really nice...
    Danish

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Cars and tires. I have SO many tires it's not even funny (not on a car right now, 20 tires, all on wheels... that's for 3 cars - racing'll do that to ya). My garage is my workshop. Really need a real space for this and am keeping an eye open for a decent space I can rent to this end. (no place for it at home).

Should be starting some furniture projects in the near future though, I hope.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Paul H
        • Feb 2004

I haven't done anything in furniture for a while, but ask again in 6 months .. I'm just starting a new home, with a separate shop, which will be first used to build lots of built-in furniture for the new home.

Comment

• Black300zx
          • Feb 2007

Wow - those are beautiful!

Comment

• jacket_fan
            • Oct 2006

Dave,

What sort fo finish did you use on the wood? How did you get the glass cut?

Very nice and interesting furniture.
            Mark

Comment

• engr_dave
              • Dec 2005

Mark,
              Finish starts with a light stain - Minwax "Golden Pecan" on the pecan and "Red Mahogany" on the purpleheart - brushed and fully wiped after application. Then I shoot a couple of coats of lacquer sanding sealer (Dunn Edwards Valspar) and sand lightly. The pecan still wasn't "golden" enough so I shot a toner coat of clear lacquer (Dunn Edwards CrystalClear semigloss) tinted with SolarLux Hickory stain. The purpleheart got a faint tone with SolarLux Cordovan Mahogany in lacquer. Finish with a couple of coats of clear semigloss lacquer - thinned about 20% and shot with ~35psi at the gun.

Chris,
              I love cars, too. Unfortunately, that hobby/sport fell off the radar screen along with skiing. There are just so many hours in a day. My garage now has two boring cars and eight bicycles. :T Maybe when I'm too old to be competitive in road and mountain biking, I'll start tinkering with cars again. :driving:

Paul,
              Congratulations on the new home - with shop no less! Keep us posted on your projects.

Comment

• engr_dave
                • Dec 2005

Oh Mark - sorry. The glass was easy - I went down to my local glass shop and ordered up slabs of glass to my dimensions with machine-polished edges. 1/2" for the tops and 1/4" for the shelves (there are also shelves inside the "ends" of the coffee table). Bill was about $200 total, as I recall.

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Beautiful work, Dave!
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• fjhuerta
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2006

No shop at all - I use a spare room. I can't do any woodworking (asthma will do that to you).

I have my collection of old tube gear there.
                    Javier Huerta

Comment

• cjd
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

Er... if I were working on the cars, that would be one thing. But now, it's just housing them between driving them. I gave up racing - politics was the final killer combined with super long days, the costs, and the boring drive TO the events.

I didn't mention my "mini" shop where I have like 3 amplifier projects going, couple pre's, now a DAC, my toy cars, all the starts for our garden (almost all are just starting to form their first true leaves... about 120 tomato plants and some other goodies), and a bunch of other junk.
                      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"