X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PoorboyMike
    • Oct 2005

Questions on Modula MT for HT

I'm going to be building a 5.1 HT set up for a friend of mine in exchange for him painting my new house. I really want to build him a high quality system but now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if it would even be worth it. The reason being, this guy was originally going to get a $200 HTIB set up and probably would have thought it sounded fantastic. He already thinks the speakers in his TV sound pretty good.

My question is, would a low/mid grade HT receiver do the modula MTs any justice at all? Can a guy like this learn to appreciate the sound a very high quality speaker can produce? Or do you think I might be better off just buying a bunch of those HiVi buyouts and building something similar to augerpro's MTM set up?

If I end up doing the later, I'll more than likely clog this place up with crossover questions. I do want to make something that sounds good. I know others would be listening to his system too and I'd like to make a good impression on them as well. I would like to build more sets for people I know to help fund my own sick obsession. :B
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

The Modula MT is a "modest cost" project which nevertheless has the resolving power to clearly show why an Ayre AX-7 Integrated with a good source (say, at least the analog output of an Apple iMac as a music server) sounds better than a midrange Sony HT receiver. It's biggest limitation is maximum playback volume.

So, if your friend has cost goals that make the Modula's too expensive, well, I guess you'll have to drop back and punt. OTOH, it's a good starting point for a steady upgrade process for audio and HT playback.

Maybe the question is, how good a friend is he, and do you think, if he heard "better stuff" than he's used to currently, would he enjoy it even more?

My daughter is no audiophile, but she really likes her Modula MT predecessors, and her friends apparently comment frequently on how great they sound for small speakers, especially on vocals and stuff that isn't just bass.

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• PoorboyMike
      • Oct 2005

The cost really isn't an issue, since I'm sure it would cost me a lot more to hire a painter. I think I will go ahead and build the Modula MTs and see if I can make a novice audiophile out of him.

And here is a big thanks for you Jon (and all the other who contribute) for taking the time to do such high quality designs for the diy community. ;x( I admit I haven't heard any of these yet, but I'm sure they sound outstanding. It wont be long now and I'll have some fist hand experience.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
        • Oct 2005

Also, I'll probably end up picking out this guy's receiver too. I would think something like a used Pioneer 1014 could be had for well under $200. While not high end by any means, it should still sound much better than a mid grade Sony.

If I end up making a bunch of these, or even some of the other Mission Accomplished designs, what would the royalty fees be? Or would you prefer that not to happen? I'm not talking commercial or anything here so please be easy on me! I wouldn't mind making a few bucks though doing something I enjoy. 8)

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Not sure what your price point is, but with the RS150 on sale right now and the RS180's possibly out of stock (I haven't checked recently) one of the 150 based systems *might* be a better deal. Less power handling by half for a TM (the 150 MTM has about the same max output as the Modula MT), but sealed they're a bit more compact and blend really well with a basic receiver's "SMALL" speaker setting crossover.

Royalty fees around here are "support our sponsors!" As long as you're not building them for profit.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• technimac
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
            The Modula MT is a "modest cost" project ..... it's a good starting point for a steady upgrade process for audio and HT playback.
            My daughter is no audiophile, but she really likes her Modula MT predecessors, and her friends apparently comment frequently on how great they sound for small speakers, especially on vocals and stuff that isn't just bass.
            ~Jon
            :agree: My Modula MT's receive similar compliments from my friends...whether it be movie material or music.
            Your friend may just "discover" what he's missing once he hears familiar music (and movie material) through a set of Modula MT's.
            With the Modula MT's, you also have the choice of BSC and non-BSC versions - depending on where he wants to place his speakers - which is an added bonus.
            Good luck on your choice.
            "While we're at it" - the four most dangerous words in Home Improvement

Comment

• PoorboyMike
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by cjd
              Not sure what your price point is, but with the RS150 on sale right now and the RS180's possibly out of stock (I haven't checked recently) one of the 150 based systems *might* be a better deal. Less power handling by half for a TM (the 150 MTM has about the same max output as the Modula MT), but sealed they're a bit more compact and blend really well with a basic receiver's "SMALL" speaker setting crossover.

Royalty fees around here are "support our sponsors!" As long as you're not building them for profit.

C
              I was going to use your MTM for his center channel. I knew it would be smaller than a NatP but didn't realize the sealed version was smaller than the Modula MT. I'll have to really look into that because size is an issue for him. 8O

And I do want to make a little profit on these eventually, but only to dump more money into my own system. Is that acceptable?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by PoorboyMike
                I was going to use your MTM for his center channel. I knew it would be smaller than a NatP but didn't realize the sealed version was smaller than the Modula MT. I'll have to really look into that because size is an issue for him. 8O

And I do want to make a little profit on these eventually, but only to dump more money into my own system. Is that acceptable?
                No problem. Just put one of those stickers like the blurb Avalon has on their web site or Ads for their speakers, for Neil Patel, "Designed for Avalon by Neil Patel". Only don't say Neil Patel. I never really understood that bit, as Neil Patel IS the president of Avalon.
                Please attribute Chris, or Jon, depending on which one's you're building.
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

Sorry, I've done a couple RS150 based TM's that are a bit smaller than the Modula MT. Sensitivity of the two TM's is about the same (slight edge to the 150) but power handling is double on the Modula.

My MTM has equivalent max output to the Modula TM but more sensitivity so less power needed. Bigger box in this case.

Selling off old speakers you've built is one thing and I think is never a problem. Specifically marketing speakers for sale and building to-order, ALWAYS contact the designer before you do this. I think I'm getting less ornery on this topic than I used to be. It probably depends on volume moved, and how you go about bringing in customers, etc.

C

Comment

• joecarrow
                    • Apr 2005

Yeah, can you imagine if there was a new generic line at Best Buy called, "Mission Accomplished"?
                    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

To your original question, I've run both the ModulaMT and Chris's MTM off of a Pioneer 1014. I'm sure a better amp would sound better, but they seemed to do fine with the receiver. The receiver wasn't screaming in pain. Maybe Chris can tell you whether he thought his MTMs were a little funky due to my amp - I won't be offended.
                      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• cjd
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Dec 2004

Nope, the Pioneer did fine.

I have found they do quite well on "8ohm" amps, and anything rated better really should have no problem at all.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                          • Oct 2005

Well, this deal ended up falling through. He was telling his wife about it and it turns out that she has already bought him the Sony "Dream System" for fathers day. Apparently she got pretty mad when he told her she could take them back. She also said the Dream System would work better since they have a Sony TV. 8O

I had already ordered the sub driver for this project, but luckily found somebody else who wants a pretty decent sub. So now I'm going to build the NatPs. :B Not sure if I will keep them or sell them to the guy who is buying the sub. From the reviews I've read here, I probably wont want to get rid of them after I hear them. I already have the cabinets done (not finished but glued up and baffles cut to size) and the parts will be here on Tuesday.

I cant wait to get these things up and running. :P

Comment

• joecarrow
                            • Apr 2005

Wow... the "Dream System" is precisely what I'd hope not to get! It has extremely high spousal approval factor, due to the tiny bose-like speakers, but you just can't produce a good spectrum of sound from those little things.

Some good news is that a friend of mine had a set in college, and I can say that I thought they sounded a tad better than bose. Even better news (for your friend) is that this might be a blessing in disguise. My girlfriend (wife) let me build the home theater I wanted, but she has the Netflix password! As a result, all the "guy" movies are pushed back, and there's a really high incidence of musicals and romantic comedies. (side note- she doesn't know it, but I'm really enjoying how well recorded the instrumentation was recorded on some of the old musicals)

The reason why this is possibly a blessing is because now YOU can build your own system up, and invite him over regularly for Guys Movie Night. That's when he gets to see all the kung-fu, car chases, explosions, and other things that he'd prefer not to expose his wife and children to. Just do him a favor, and act like your system cost many many times more than his Dream System. It's the only way that thing will psychologically still sound pretty good to him.
                            -Joe Carrow

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"