X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

I need a very small speaker to fit this enclosure

My parents have a 30 year old Nutone intercomm system with outdoor speakers. The speakers allow you to transmit your voice outside and also act as the microphone for when the person is speaking. There's no button on the outside so I guess it just knows when to use it for either application. The speaker is completely gone and needs replaced. The cheapest I could find for a replacement was something in the neighborhood of $50, which is unbelievable.

Here are some pics of it next to an NSB and an Aura NS3-193, for size comparison. Neither line up for the screws and the worst part is the depth requirement:

So, what I'm looking for is an EXTREMELY shallow driver that will fit into this enclosure. The speaker looks to be something along the lines of a 3" driver, but if it has to be smaller, say, 2", that's fine. I'll find a way to mount it in there!

Any help is greatly appreciated!
  • cotdt
    • Oct 2005

Wouldn't it be better to fiberglass a new enclosure to fit the Aura?

Comment

• joecarrow
      • Apr 2005

I get what this is- you have an existing system, and you just want to pop something new in to replace the driver. It's easier to source a cheezy driver instead of redoing the enclosure with fiberglass. Is that about right? I can definitely sympathize.

Can you verify the required impedance of the driver? Sometimes drivers for PA type systems with long runs of wire are higher impedance, and operate with higher voltage. It's a good idea to to double check that.
      -Joe Carrow

Comment

• tyler
        • Feb 2007

Have you tried the Aura NSW2-326? It is more shallow than the NS3 but you may have to modify the mounting to make it flush.....

Comment

• BobEllis
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Since sound quality isn't an issue, why not look at on of the industrial suppliers, like Newark http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/pro...sp?sku=81F2834 or Mouser http://www.mouser.com/catalog/629/1500.pdf?

Comment

• chasw98
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Look here for inexpensive car audio speakers. They will be somewhat weatherproof and they come in pairs so you will have a spare. Choose your price point.

Purchase your 3.5 Inch Car Speakers here at HiFiSoundConnection.com for big savings and super low prices - Will Not Be Undersold!

Chuck

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"