X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rich_M9999
    • Mar 2007

Another Newb Needing DIY Help

Hello All,

I am relatively new to DIY speaker building. I say relatively because I have tinkered with audio some 20 years ago (boy, how things have changed!!). Additionally, I have been lurking around forums such as this for quite sometime ( I don't just jump into things) and have learned a bunch. My thoughts were to read, search, read, read, read, and read about DIY before I attempt to knock the rust off.

Now that I am through rambling, I have an idea for a project and need honest (but kind) input. I am planning to build the Cynosure for a center channel. I am confident that I can accomplish this fairly easily ( I can read schematics and plans). Where the question comes in is........ What mains mate up to the TangBand 3" drivers?

I thought about building 3 of these (2 in a version such as here...

Click image for larger version

Name:	cynosure-orriginal.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	948377

and 1 per the PE Project showcase design)

I thought I would take the 2 boxes with front ports, turn them up on their side, then add a trapezoidal enclosure to the bottom and top to use as mains. In the new compartments I would add a TangBand 4" subwoofer crossed over at 80hz (To the 12" sub) and ported (1 in bottom and 1 in top) for a WMMMTMMMW design.

WinISd (if I'm reading it correctly) tells me that I need a .15 cu/ft enclosure for each speaker with a 1"x3.75" (in each enclosure) port to tune around 62Hz.

I realize I can build a larger base (for stability) at the bottom and still keep the .15 cu/ft parameter by using bulk-heads and false walls.

My humble request IF THIS IS REALISTICALLY DOABLE is I will need help designing a crossover for these speakers. My Yamaha HT Receiver is rated to be 6 ohm stable. I plan to use the settings on small so as to not cook the drivers, but I have yet to master the art of crossover design (actually, I have only built them from kits). If I add (2) 4" subwoofers, once they are wired in to the channel, what woud I have to do to preserve the 6 ohms required by my amp? Is this something I can do with only the crossover for the 4's? Or, will the crossover designed to drive the 3's have to be scrapped and a new one designed for the whole kit-n-kabootle? As stated earlier, I plan to place the 4's in SEPARATE enclosures to preserve the integrity of the original Cynosure design.

I have read the LSD cookbook 6th ed. (I own it). And have researched the topic of DIY since early December. I want to get it right when I pull the trigger, or at least be reasonably confident that it will work.

I feel I have learned much, but, without feedback, I do not know where I am in the learning curve.

Before you ask why I am bent on building a design such as this, I am a sucker for multiple drivers ( I like the concept of spreading out the surface area.... and it looks cool (at least to me). In addition, the Cynosure is also a cost-effective design for me. a little over $600 (for 3 units) plus the cost of (2) 4's and crossover parts and I can have my HT LCR complete.

I realize this post is rather lengthy, but I am tyring to answer most questions about what I am attempting without sounding like a fool. However, I am sure I have left something out.

This is a wonderful site! You guys know your stuff; any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 20:11 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
    Rich :T

Failing to plan is planning to fail......
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi,

Guess you missed the location of our DIY forum, so I'll move your thread to the appropriate forum.

In addition you might find this discussion regarding the Cynosure helpful

First off this seems like a really good forum. So much so, I realize I'm really over my head. I'm going to have to go to the library and get some books on this stuff. Anyways here is the plan. My dad needs a center channel build that is no taller than 5" or deeper than 8", width can be as long as 49". It needs
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 20:12 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Rich_M9999
      • Mar 2007

A different Route maybe?

Thanks Thomas. That post pointed out somethings. I guess, at this point, I might ask if anyone is aware of a project that will blend nicely with the Cynosure (Left/Right fronts)?
      Rich :T

Failing to plan is planning to fail......

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

This is one of those situations where I wouldn't fixate on having matching mains, unless there are restrictions on their size as well.

Look at the Missions accomplished section for several proven designs for main speakers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"