X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dawaro
    • Feb 2005

Dennis Murphy Dayton RS/Seas WMT

As mentioned in another thread Dennis has been working on a WMT using the RS225, RS150, and the Seas 27TBFC/G. After listening to it for a few days he is very happy with the xover so I am making it available now. This speaker uses a smaller cabinet than that of the WWMT and can be used as a stand alone speaker or as a rear channel surround.

It will be left to the end user to decide wether they want a ported or sealed enclosure. Per Unibox cabinet size sealed for a single RS225 enclosure is around 28 liters plus the RS150 enclosure. F3 should be about 50 Hz. Ported should be 50-60 liters with either a 3"x8.72" (50) or a 3"x10.83" (60) long port which will have a F3 in the upper 20's.

Attached are the schematics and the measured response of the speaker along with a reverse null measurement.

Here are the cabinet drawings for the Sealed Version: Image not available

These drawings are just a reference, feel free to make any changes you would like. As long as the baffle width and speaker locations are not altered you will be fine.

Also I am not a regular Autocad user so this drawing is not to scale and you should check all measurements before you make any cuts...I have been known to make mistakes in the past...

Click image for larger version  Name:	DM RS-Seas WMT On Axis.gif Views:	1935 Size:	17.3 KB ID:	868419

Click image for larger version  Name:	DM RS-Seas WMT Reverse Polarity.gif Views:	1838 Size:	18.0 KB ID:	868420

Click image for larger version  Name:	DMRS-Seas WMTnet.JPG Views:	3231 Size:	44.7 KB ID:	868421
    Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 23:24 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link
    I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts
  • JoshK
    • Mar 2005

What are the dimensions of the cabinet he designed this for? Rectangular?

Comment

• dawaro
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by JoshK
      What are the dimensions of the cabinet he designed this for? Rectangular?
      The first post has been updated with a drawing for the sealed version.

Baffle size is 10.75" W x 23" H. The depth is 12.75".

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dawaro
        The first post has been updated with a drawing for the sealed version.

Baffle size is 10.75" W x 23" H. The depth is 12.75".
        Hi David,

Nice project and one that's small enough to fit in a lot of places the dual woofer version won't. Do you know what the final sensitivity worked out to be? I do suspect it'll take some horsepower to make it come alive, however. Sensitivity is the one advantage the dual RS225's have over this design.

Jim

Comment

• WillyD
          • Feb 2006

I have a simple question: What would have to be changed in the xover, if anything, to substitute the 27TDFC?

Comment

• dawaro
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
            Hi David,

Nice project and one that's small enough to fit in a lot of places the dual woofer version won't. Do you know what the final sensitivity worked out to be? I do suspect it'll take some horsepower to make it come alive, however. Sensitivity is the one advantage the dual RS225's have over this design.

Jim
            I will have to check with Dennis and see what he has measured. Unibox shows it to at 86.4 for a single sealed RS225. I don't think I am going to mess with a ported version. In a 50-60 liter cabinet it is going to require a very long port. If others are interested in a ported version I will leave it to them to design it.

Comment

• dawaro
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by WillyD
              I have a simple question: What would have to be changed in the xover, if anything, to substitute the 27TDFC?
              IIRC they are interchangeable. There are some minor differences on the top end but nothing drastic.

Comment

• HT2
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by WillyD
                And, you are sure to want to change the midrange driver from RS150S to Peerless 830882.
                UltimateMonitor

P.S.
                I thought that a classic sound was heard though it was 3WAY system of the aluminum.
                It wanted the system for vocal, and I wanted to lower the crossover frequency of midrange.
                Last edited by HT2; 25 April 2007, 02:38 Wednesday.

Comment

• Michael Murray
                  • Jul 2006

Could this speaker be laid on its side and used as a center channel with good dispersion or should I wait for the Jon Marsh Vifa, RS52, RS180 center channel? I have seating as much as 30-45 degrees from center in my living room(home theater/music).

Comment

• dawaro
                    • Feb 2005

Dayton RS WMT

Here is the network and the measured response of the full Dayton RS version of the WMT. Dennis finished the design a couple of weeks ago but I am just now getting around to getting it posted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DM RS WMTnet.JPG
Views:	2878
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	847976

Click image for larger version

Name:	RSWMT Response.gif
Views:	1809
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	847977
                    Last edited by theSven; 04 April 2023, 20:59 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• dawaro
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Michael Murray
                      Could this speaker be laid on its side and used as a center channel with good dispersion or should I wait for the Jon Marsh Vifa, RS52, RS180 center channel? I have seating as much as 30-45 degrees from center in my living room(home theater/music).
                      That would be a no on laying this down. Best bet would be to wait for Jon to finish his design.

Comment

• stidrvr
                        • Sep 2005

Quick question. If I were to use these as rears (using the RS28 Xover). How far could I recess these into the wall without have to worry about interfering with BSC?

I dont mean to have the baffle fully flush with the wall, only say 3in (2.5" wall stud + .5" drywall) subtracted from the total depth of 12.75", so only 9.75" being exposed.

Or could I get even closer? Which I know would require me to lengthen the total cabinent?

I do realize the closer to the wall any speaker gets can have negative effects. But not being a "diehard audiophile" what is the limit?

The space I have now is a dedicated room 13' in width, so the total depth isnt really a viable option.

Before I found these I was planning on the NatP inwalls for rears. Or would it be better to stick with those?

Comment

• Jed
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Apr 2005

You guys need to name your speakers because there are so many "RS" speakers already.

Comment

• wushuliu
                            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by dawaro
                            Here is the network and the measured response of the full Dayton RS version of the WMT. Dennis finished the design a couple of weeks ago but I am just now getting around to getting it posted.
                            Is the sensitivity of this design really ~75db?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wushuliu
                              Is the sensitivity of this design really ~75db?
                              It's about 88-89 DB. Normal sensitivity and consider it a 4 ohm load.

Jim

Comment

• wushuliu
                                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                                It's about 88-89 DB. Normal sensitivity and consider it a 4 ohm load.

Jim
                                Just to confirm, I'm talking about the WMT, not the TMWW. Think I'll take advantage of the RS sale...

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wushuliu
                                  Just to confirm, I'm talking about the WMT, not the TMWW. Think I'll take advantage of the RS sale...
                                  Sorry, I thought you were talking about the WWMT. If memory serves me correctly, the WMT is about 83 DB.

Jim

Comment

• Ryan_M
                                    • Jul 2009

Sorry to raise this thread from the dead but I was actually going to be doing something very similar to this design myself, except I was thinking of the RS225-4 or possibly the RSS210. I have Dennis' version of the RS 3ways now and was going to use the rs150 and 27tbfc/g for the new build as the rs225s-8's are being repurposed into another build. I absolutely don't need the available SPL of twin rs225's and I need the stay in the 50L cabinet size range. So I can let a single rs225 have some room and port it for quite a bit more extension - which is a very welcome benefit.

Anyway I have a few questions...
                                    1.) Did these ever get built?
                                    2.) I was comparing the XO's and am a little confused. The rs225 XO is nearly identical to the TMWW. Is this a reduced BSC version or is the woofer actually the 4ohm version? I was expecting to see large changes in this portion to account for the 8ohm load vs. the original 4ohm load.
                                    3.) HP and padding on the mid also appear to be close to the original which again makes me think the woofer should be the 4ohm or there is a lot less BSC?
                                    4.) The LP in the mid section seems to be a bit more aggressive in this version. I know there were a few people that found the original 3 ways a little too bright in the top end and I think I agree - though that's just my personal preference and I'm not faulting the XO on that design in anyway. Now I see there is a few dB dip in the measured response in that region, would it be safe to assume that these are a little less 'bright'?

FWIW I'm pretty new to designing XO's so my above impressions are based on a few WAG's and a lot of armchair engineering. Any help clearing any of that up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
                                    Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"