How far off the floor should I lift my downfiring subwoofer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zacjones
    • Mar 2007

How far off the floor should I lift my downfiring subwoofer?

oops
    Last edited by zacjones; 25 March 2007, 22:39 Sunday. Reason: stupid question
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

3"-4"

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• zacjones
      • Mar 2007

thanks for the reply

Thanks for responding to my brief question. I had deleted the post because I deemed it unworthy, as I could just tinker around with it and figure it out once I get it running. But your response of 3-4" was much higher off the ground than I would have started, and probably higher than I would have ended up doing. So thanks, and here's a little more about the application and a couple more questions if you don't mind.

It'll be a 13" sub running on an edesignaudio 1300w plate amp in a ported box that was originally designed for a car application. The woofer is a kenwood kfc-xw1300dvc dual 6-ohm driver that just eats up power from what I learned from the only review I could find on this driver:

As the above review praised the driver to be only slightly better than mediocre (7/10), my expectations for this application are not grandiose. The port, constructed of 3/4 mdf, is vented on the baffle so will fire downwards as well. I am not sure of the box tuning. Once the amp arrives, I plan on making this box that was born into a car feel more at home by slowly feeding him some polyfill.

What kind of feet would you recommend for a wood floor? The 16x18x34 side-laying box with woofer and amp must weigh at least 150#. Double layered 3/4 mdf on the box. Ideally something that will not damage the floor. I plan on burl laminating the enclosure if the experiment is a success.

Would placing a rug under the sub be a good idea? My 12 x 18 theater room is wide open, with a 4x8 portal leading into the dining room and on to open doors to the kitchen and bedroom. I have no specifically designed acoustic dampening, and what little furniture I have is leather. I'll be running a behringer dcx2496 to crossover and fine tune it.

So... what kind of feet -- wooden vs rubber vs ...casters?? how about a rug?

Thanks again!!

Zac. :B

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I'm sure you're aware the driver is designed for dB drag-racing not home audio. Given it's pricing my suggestion is to sell the driver and buy one more appropriate to your real needs...

That said you can buy premade wooden legs at the home center stores. Or people just use big dowels. There are nail-on nylon glides that will protect the floor.

No need for a rug.

I'm not sure what you mean by "slowly feeding it polyfill". The walls of ported boxes are lined with damping, they're not stuffed like a seal box

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• zacjones
          • Mar 2007

you're probably right

I imagine you're right and I will probably end up selling it off... most likely as a car sub. But since I inherited it I thought I would give it a run in my livingroom just for fun. I'll probably just use some mdf scraps glued together for legs then. thanks for the input!

Comment

• zacjones
            • Mar 2007

walls lined with damping?

not that I can see. there's no damping in this box at this time. That's why I want to line it with polyfill. maybe that's why it sounded like crap when I heard it in the car. I figured it was because it was underpowered or just wasn't suited for that vehicle.

Comment

• Jerm357
              • Apr 2006

Would you say that there is a down side to going higher than 4"?

Comment

• Jerm357
                • Apr 2006

nobody has an opinion on this??

Comment

• Dennis H
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Jerm357
                  Would you say that there is a down side to going higher than 4"?
                  None that I'm aware of.

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

Isn't it theoretically correct, that if you lift it up to mid-height of the room, you eliminate another possible room mode? Thought I read that somewhere, like it is the basis for the ASC Sub Stand.

Therefore, I say lift the sub 4 FEET off the ground.
                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jerm357
                      • Apr 2006

Thanks, I figured there was'int. I just wanted to verify that my 5" was not a bad thing.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"