All titanium project...W4-1337S + Aurasound Tweeter...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nerd of nerds
    • Sep 2005

All titanium project...W4-1337S + Aurasound Tweeter...

Hey all!

I was just wondering if there were any measurements floating around for the new(ish) titanium TB woofer. I've seen some floating around but can't remember where.

I'm interested using this driver for a cute little all titanium 2 way speaker with the new aurasound tweeter, all active XO.

Thanks!
    Last edited by nerd of nerds; 21 March 2007, 23:42 Wednesday.
  • spasticteapot
    • Mar 2007

Why active?

Comment

• nerd of nerds
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by spasticteapot
      Why active?
      For fun

Actually I just think I would be better off making an active xo than a passive one. The crossovers for my Modula MTs are a mess...functional, but a mess...and that bothers me.

I'd rather spend the money and design a nice little reconfigurable pcb for them that can be used for other future projects...

Comment

• fjhuerta
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2006

Titanium woofer? It's not the little 4" woofer, right?
        Javier Huerta

Comment

• nerd of nerds
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by fjhuerta
          Titanium woofer? It's not the little 4" woofer, right?
          Forgot to mention the name...yeah...its the little 4" W41337S

I thought I had seen some measurements of it somewhere...maybe an frd file? Could be wrong...

Comment

• MuaDibb
            • Oct 2006

Speaking of that little 4" TB woofer has anyone used it? I've been looking at using it for some computer speakers.
            Ultimately all things are known because we want to believe we know.

Zensunni Wanderer

Comment

• fjhuerta
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2006

Yeah, I've used it.

I have nothing but great things to say about it. I built a big MTM (well, big for 4" woofer standards!) with an RS28AS. Crossover design was very simple, and subjectively, the speaker had a great, silky smooth tweeter.

It's the only Tang Band driver I've really liked.

For the record, I used a 2 KHz, 4th order acoustical crossover. The electrical crossover turned out to be a 3rd order on the tweeter and a 2nd order on the woofer, with a parallel trap filter (IIRC) and a small Zobel, mostly for upper end shaping.

I loved the TB. Except for its price - it's a bit expensive, IMHO.
              Javier Huerta

Comment

• Hank
                Super Senior Member
                • Jul 2002

I sorta pushed the idea of that TB titanium, and Jon, bless his objectivity, is considering using it. I have four here and have broken in two of them for about 40 hours. My bud Mark has been intending to bring his test equipment/software here so we can do some serious measurements on those and some other drivers. His new bleeding edge tech job is holding him back, but hopefully within the next few weeks...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

It's really a midrange, not a midwoofer, IMO

It's really a midrange, not a midwoofer, and is probably best used above 250 Hz, with an LCR zobel to deal with the woofer Fs impedance bump. Upper crossover depends on slope and CTC, but as smooth as it is and well behaved up to 7-8 khz, there's some flexibility as long as you trap the upper end garbage- but it IS upper end, way up there, relative to most metal cone drivers.

I'd say it would work quite nicely from 600 Hz to 5 kHz- say, in a three way with a big Neo ribbon and almost anything you want in the bottem end. RS225? RS270? Trick would be managing BSC... that's probably why the Japanese company that uses these has a wide baffle cabinet like the Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage.

I'm looking at a "budget" three way design with RS270, W4-1337, tweeter not selected but possibly D26CN55, since a NeoCD2 ribbon would be outside of the price targets I'd orginally talked about. But it would fit in the modular head unit. M10ta variant; this midrange may allow a Duelund alignemnt crossover. Haven't run all the numbers yet, so we'll have to see...
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• mmoeller
                    • May 2006

Looks similar the the Viaston T100 I got to hear at the IowaDIY06.

I can't remember who built the two way with it. Very nice build. Just not meant to go too low. Couldn't hang with some of the MT builds with the larger RS drivers in extension. Midrange clarity and imaging was outstanding however. I think it was paired up with a ring radiator tweeter. Very slick.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by mmoeller
                      Looks similar the the Viaston T100 I got to hear at the IowaDIY06.

I can't remember who built the two way with it. Very nice build. Just not meant to go too low. Couldn't hang with some of the MT builds with the larger RS drivers in extension. Midrange clarity and imaging was outstanding however. I think it was paired up with a ring radiator tweeter. Very slick.
                      Hi Merrick,

The Visiton Ti100 entry was John Pastuck's Mini - Mini design which used a HiVi ring planar tweeter. I agree that the mid range was just stunning. I felt it was the equal of Wayne's 851 Accuton entry in that regard. That is a heck'va compliment, btw. I thought the Accutons were superb and easily the best all around speaker there. Man we had some great speakers at last years event!

The W4-1337S seem to equal or perhaps exceed the performance measurement wise of the Ti100's. If the midrange is as good or better than the Ti100, it'll be a killer.

Jim

Comment

• yann_québec
                        • Apr 2007

I did built a MTM speaker using 2 W4-1337S and a LCY108 ribbon tweeter. The project is not finished yet, but i already have tested them. I'm using the TB from 200Hz to a little over 2kHz (all active filters)
                        woofers are Peerless HDS Nomex 8'' (not exclusive)

The sound is incredible.

can anybody help to post pictures ?

Yann

Comment

• Jed
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                          Hi Merrick,

The W4-1337S seem to equal or perhaps exceed the performance measurement wise of the Ti100's. If the midrange is as good or better than the Ti100, it'll be a killer.

Jim
                          TI100 seems to be able to go lower than W4-1337s based on the graphs I've seen. Many designs use Ti100 below 300hz. Jon's recommendation of using the W4 at 600-on up is fairly limiting in terms of its potential IMO.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by yann_québec
                            I did built a MTM speaker using 2 W4-1337S and a LCY108 ribbon tweeter. The project is not finished yet, but i already have tested them. I'm using the TB from 200Hz to a little over 2kHz (all active filters)
                            woofers are Peerless HDS Nomex 8'' (not exclusive)

The sound is incredible.

can anybody help to post pictures ?

Yann
                            Hi Yann,

I'd like to see your creations. If you edit your post and scroll down until you find the manage attachments button. Click on it and it will open a window that will allow you to browse your hard drive and up load pictures. They need to be less than 100K in size however so you may have to resize them before uploading.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Jed
                              TI100 seems to be able to go lower than W4-1337s based on the graphs I've seen. Many designs use Ti100 below 300hz. Jon's recommendation of using the W4 at 600-on up is fairly limiting in terms of its potential IMO.
                              Hi Jed,

If I understood Jon's post he was modeling and made the suggestion for a perfect world with the RS270. In another thread he suggested around 400 Hz. with RS180's if I remember correctly. I suspect during actual crossover development those suggestions would not be absolutes but good starting points. Then again, I'm not a crossover designer.

Jim

Comment

• yann_québec
                                • Apr 2007

here is what i'm building.

it is a MTM configuration with a LCY108 ribbon tweeter in a closed box. The front plate of the tweeter was machined. The front panel (1.5'' thick) is covered with cork and the box was optimized for diffraction. The rear of the TB was very hard to clear from the panel (to avoid compression)
                                The woofer is a peerless HDS NOMEX 8''. The exlusive is unuseful here because it won't go over 300Hz... The prototype of filter uses 200Hz for the woofer but this will certainely change after measurements.

all filters are LR4. but the boomer may use a 3rd order butterworth (to be confirmed depending on acoutic behaviour of the medium at 200Hz)

High frequencies are from 2kHz. (the true d'Applito needs about 1.5kHz for a medium spacing of 200mm) Using 2kHz for the LCY is possible and it is the only ribbon tweeter that can be used at this frequency. This will ensure a smooth directivity from -30 to +30° of vertical angle.

Mesurements are planned in 2 or 3 weeks... (no time to do them now)

levels were adjusted using a simple sound pressure meter and the first listening impression is that i can't detect the high frequency crossover even if it's a 4th order filter. The TB is really quick and it sounds terrific.

I will post the measurements when done.

thanks

Yann

thanks
                                Attached Files

Comment

• augerpro
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2006

Very nice Yann! :T I have no doubt with a proper XO those would sound excellent. How do you plan on finishing the enclosures?
                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                  Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                                  Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                                  DriverVault
                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• mmoeller
                                    • May 2006

Sweet Yann.

I like the HDS Nomex. I'm hoping to use them sometime this summer. Interested to know how they blend with the TI mids.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"