X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • digital desire
    • Dec 2006

Most durable finish for Oak Veneer?

So my wwmt's are soon to be wrapped in a 10 mil oak veneer. One of the speakers has to live near my other hobby, a planted tank that has to get regular maintenance. Occasional splashes happen.
    Taking into account that I am a rank amateur with this stuff, what finish would you go with that would be most water resistant? Looking for the classic oak finish, maybe glossy?
    As an aside, I LOVE the PE magnets for grill attachment. A classy solution for these things!

EDIT: I am not averse to getting the hvlp setup from harbor freight if it would help the cause!
    Attached Files
    Peter
    Syracuse, N.Y.
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

Polyurethane is probably the most waterproof.

Comment

• digital desire
      • Dec 2006

Water based or oil based? (IIRC there are both kinds?) Spray (wiz can?) or brush?
      Thanks.
      Peter
      Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

A wipe-on poly where you just wipe on very thin coats with a rag is probably the easiest to get a decent finish. Basically it's just thinned-down oil-based poly. There are various DIY recipies for the 'ultimate' finish but the Minwax wipe-on works okay, it's easy to use and it doesn't require any special mixing.

Comment

• Chris7
          • Dec 2006

I agree with the others -- I'd use poly. Oak is the one of the few woods I'll use poly on, actually, because oak doesn't tend to pick up the plastic look with poly.

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

I've overwatered the plant above the speakers I have finished in Tung oil (3 coats). There's a difference between getting splashed, and soaking in water.

That said, the sub I built my parents has had the plant it holds overwatered to the point it had water on the surface for days. No damage. That's 3 (or is it 4?) coats of Polycrylic. Brushed.

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• digital desire
              • Dec 2006

The wipe on poly I think it is then. It seems to have some latitude for dummies like me.
              Peter
              Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• wkhanna
                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

I used Minwax Old Antique finish for a bar/island in our kitchen. I made the top from made of poplar, and it has taken undue amounts of abuse over 13 years, and is just now ready for a light sanding and two or three more coats.
                Easy to use, too. YMMV....
                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• capslock
                  • Dec 2004

Actually, 2k aromatic solvent based PU is the most durable. You can even thin it and apply 2 coats that go really down into the wood, then 2 unthinned coatings. Even MDF will be waterproof after that and could probably take hammer strokes without showing dents.

Comment

• digital desire
                    • Dec 2006

What is a 2K aromatic based Poly? Is this the same as minwax (oil based) products?
                    Peter
                    Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• capslock
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by digital desire
                      What is a 2K aromatic based Poly? Is this the same as minwax (oil based) products?
                      Not at all, it is a professional two component paint, much like 2k acrylic used on cars, but even more durable.

Comment

• engr_dave
                        • Dec 2005

capslock is correct. The most durable is a two-part conversion varnish. I've used these on kitchens and bathroom cabinetry. Sherwin-Williams makes a good one. Pre-cat Lacquers and CAB-acrylics are also pretty tough and are easier to use.

Comment

• Nichol1997
                          • May 2006

I have not tried Pianolac before but I have heard it is pretty durable. Might be worth looking in to.
                          尊胜国际平台【信誉|大平台】成立于2002年十多多年来,公司集团以引领全国分公司走向世界为愿景而成立,围绕国家提出的供给侧结构性改革生产和销售业务的高新技术企业。

Comment

• JonW
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

In case this isn't 100% obvious I'll mention it: Maybe put a plastic garbage bag over the speaker when you're changing water and sloshing around the aquarium. I'd still want a durable finish for the little bits of splatter that will happen otherwise. Because you have a WWMT I recommend Glad bags- they open up the dynamics of the speaker quite well. Hefty work best for MTM configurations.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"